dual layer DVDs and Mac Mini

jpollock

Registered
Hi all,

I have a backup script that I wrote that uses hdiutil to burn an image file to the disc at the very end. I want to switch to 8.5 GB 2.4x DVD+R discs owing to the size of our backup data (we had been using regular 4.7 GB single-layer discs), and the Mac Mini we use for backups has the capacity to burn dual-layer DVD+R discs (according to the System Profiler info). However, when I try to do a burn, it says "Burn failed. The media is not the right type for the requested operation." Has anyone else encountered this?

The stranger part is that yesterday I ran a backup to one of these dual-layer discs and hdiutil exited with an error code, but when I checked the disc, it had been burned. However, the disc said there was 3.9 GB on the disc and only 700MB available, meaning it wasn't seeing the disc as dual-layer. I then updated iDVD (which was available yesterday via Software Update) and now I get the error mentioned above.

Here's another oddity: the drive is identified as a MATSHITADVD-R in both Disk Utility and in the "ATA" tab of the System Profiler.

Never mind: I figured out that the problem was that the -testburn flag for hdiutil doesn't appear to work when using dual-layer discs. I figured this out because I was able to burn the image without issue when using Disk Utility.

Back