DVD-DL in DVD-R/W Drive

iPower676

Registered
Is it possible to burn a DVD-DL in a DVD-+R/W drive? I have a MBP when they came out and it is not possible to burn a DVD-DL disk, but when I insert the disk, the computer reads it and says that there is 7.5 GB free on the disk. However when I try to burn it, it fails. Can I force the drive to burn it? Thanks for your time.

nope, it requires the hardware to be set up to burn on 2 layers. and if the drive can't burn to two layers, it'll fail every time. but the reason it sees it right is because its reading the header of the cd (which is readable by all drives, and also contain info like who made the disk too), which tells it how much it can hold if its empty.

yup. then in a couple of years, after your warranty is out, see if anyone has an upgrade service to replace your drive with a dl drive.

Or maybe there'll already be something better available (and fitting the 'book).

I have to say: I've gone with combo drives or worse (no DVD writing for me at all inside the 'book) for a long time now. And it has worked for me very well. An external firewire drive enclosure has housed a CD-RW drive first, then some DVD-writer and lately a DL burner. Replacing that drive is easy and very cheap compared to buying a higher end 'book when replacing that or compared to replacing the internal optical drive. So I personally don't really care too much about that and simply keep up with technology on that external drive.

Back