DVD-RWs & DVD+RWs

drmacintosh

Registered
I am working with an external Plextor 740U/F DVD burner on a Power Macintosh G4 (Gigabit Ethernet)400 MHz that is running OS X v10.3.9 "Panther". I have two versions of Roxio's Toast Titanium v5.2.3 & v7.0.2 installed. The problem that I am having is in both versions. The first time that I use a DVD-RW or DVD+RW that has been newly removed from the shrink wrapping, I am able to successfully get a burn. Whenever the DVD-RW or DVD+RW has been erased & is to be reused, just before another burn is to be performed, I get the message that this disc is full & to try another disc that can be written to. I also have Wintel based computers that from Nero OEM that has come with the DVD recorder, I am successfully able to reuse the DVD-RW or DVD+RW when it has been erased. I am using Maxell DVDs. According to Plextor they were stumped & have escalated the issue to the support engineers for further investigation. In the meantime while combing the Toast Titanium support section of the Roxio website, they suggest to try a different brand of media or else it could be a defective DVD recorder. I did this with no luck. The recorder does not appear to be defective because it works on the other Wintel computers successfully. Please help here.

I do have PatchBurn installed. Before though, I did uninstall PatchBurn to see if this would make a difference & it did not. I then reinstalled PatchBurn with the same results of not being able to read a DVD-RW & DVD+RW in Toast Titanium.

I now have another anomaly. After speaking with Plextor support, I have been told that the engineers that my case has been escalated to could not reproduce the problem that I described. I was told by the representative that I spoke with @ Plextor that this sounds that since the DVD recorder works well within the OEM version of Nero that came with the recorder & since from a Macintosh the engineers @ Plextor could not reproduce the problem that it sounds as if the recording software could be the problem. I responded to them saying "How can this be when two different OSes on two different hard drives in the same computer OSX v10.3.9 "Panther" & OSX v10.2.8 "Jaguar" run into the same issue" & to that the representative responded "I am sorry that we "Plextor" do not have a solution for you". Funny isn't it when there is no fix to go ahead & blame the least likely culprit, the CD/DVD recording software.

Back