DVR-108 from Pioneer suitable for g4?

Yes, it will work, but won't be completely compatible with Apple's apps, probably until Tiger (10.4). I think PatchBurn will make will make it compatible.

I have a 107 in my B&W and it works perfect. only complaint about pioneer dvr drives is kinda slow seek times. other than that they are perfect and you will love it.

bobw: reports on xlr8yourmac say patchburn makes the 108 work fine in 10.3.3 and up.

I just put a DVR-108 drive into my G4 dual cpu, dual mirror door machine. I did the patchburn 3 and I did the firmware upgrade. I can not get it to go at any speed but 1X using the finder. I happen to have the server version. I think I'm at 10.3.6 (the latest updates).

Using the finder to burn DVD's seems to be rare. If anyone else has experience with this, please let me know.

I've got one of these boxes arriving today, really good price, well considering I'm buying it in the UK! I've downloaded Patchburn 3.0b6en but can't find where to get the latest firmware updater for OS X? anyone got any suggestions? I'll let you know how I get on, thank you

Donal.

So the box turned up just an hour or so ago, no problems installing, very easy. I had already down loaded Apples instructions but I have to say OWC's instructions with color photos were much better. I am burning a DVD with toast as I write, 4gigs worth. I did a CD test and the new reader was nearly a minute faster to copy a standard CD to my hardrive.the DVD is burning at x8 speed, toast says it will be 6 minutes!, tunred out with the verify to be 14min. So far very pleased. Haven't tried burning with the finder, but why would you! it takes so long, copy to DVD and then burn!

cheers.

I bought a copy of Toast with Jam. It is working for me. I need to do more tests and time them. I think the finder may be burning just as fast.

I used the finder because I'm doing a weird backup of my photos. I have a shell script that copies what I want to backup to the DVD. Then I just do "burn" and I'm done. The Toast interface, from what I can tell, forces me to do the same thing really. I create an empty DVD image on my desktop, copy what I want into it, then drag that into the toast window and burn it. The extra copy doesn't bother me much because I can create two images and ping pong between them and do step 1 of the second set of files while I'm burning the first set of files.

Did you find a path to the DVD firmware yet? I went to xlr8yourmac.com. It is a bit confusing to me.

Stuffit 9 can expand the .exe from the Pioneer site -- maybe Stuffit 8 as well?

But there are pointers to the firmware on the XLR8yourMac site as well.

bobw said:

you sure 1.1.4 is the right firmware for the 108? I have the 107 and its firmware shows up as 1.1.5

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-107D:

Capacity: 4.35 GB
Manufacturer: PIONEER
Model: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-107D
Revision: 1.15
Drive Type: CD-RW/DVD-RW
Disc Burning: Apple Supported/Shipped
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk2
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0