eMac freezes

Thomo

Registered
Hi

I have just bought a second hand eMac, 700 with 1gb of memory running 10.4.11. whenever it goes to sleep on wake up the screen freezes and is just black, the hard drive and fan appear to start up though. I have re-installed once, but now have a problem with install cd!(Disk warrior says it’s fatal, it’s the CD version of the install) I’ve also run Disk Warrior and rebuilt the hard drive via target mode with a G3 iMac, it says everything is fine. Any suggestions please, it’s starting to get me

nothing really, corrected a few permissions that's all. I've tried it without any attachments in the USB drives too, still happens. I fitted the 1GB of RAM, it was new memory and stuck one in the iMac two and that's fine, it only had 128 when I got it. Some suggested resetting the PRAM, will try that tonight and see if that helps? Thanks

If you open up the memory access door, you'll see a couple of capacitors -- they look almost like miniature soda cans. If they are healthy, they should have a perfectly flat top. If they're toast, they will either look "pregnant" or they will have stuff oozing out of them -- usually orange. If they are toast, your computer will continue to freeze or crash at random until the logic board has been replaced. Apple has been really good about fixing them for free even if they are 3 or 4 years old.

Thanks for that - they look ok? Also I have reset the PRAM but the problem is still there? any other options please???

thanks

Back