Epson scanner connection problem

It's not quite an 1/8th of an inch. It's pretty shallow but it isn't flush, either.

Adam Addis said:
Only just seen Tommy WillB's message - carpet-chewing temporarily suspended. 'Flush bed-and-surround' means that the scanner bed and the surrounding area have to be on the same level to allow objects larger in area than A4 (most of them larger than A3, as it happens) to be scanned in sections.

Hello, chornbe - I've been looking at a photo of the RX500 on some site or other. Are the bed and the surrounding area really dead flush? Difficult to make out from the pic, but it looks as if there's probably a difference in level of about 1/8 inch, which unfortunately would rule it out for my purposes. If you've seen the HP Scanjet 4670, it has the 'flushness' I'm nattering on about. Unfortunately the Mac software that comes with it is nightmarish. (I bought one last December and had to send it back.)

Now back to that carpet.

I've found a Canon scanner (Lidé 35) which, amazingly, actually works with Mac OSX, unlike the new Epson and HP scanners I've tried recently. Compared with the new Epson and HP garbage, the Canon software (a) seems to be very stable, (b) produces scans that don't look as they've been sprinkled with salt or white sugar, and (c) is much more simply and sensibly arranged. The top is nearly flush, enabling me to scan some of my items, but not all of them. For many Mac users, who don't need to scan outsize articles, this scanner could be an affordable solution.

Thanks for the applefritters tip, macos10, but this seems to involve buying a lot more gadgets and gismos. And when I've bought 'em, will the whole set-up work? It may work on an iMac but will it work on an eMac? It may work on 10.3.8 but will it work on 10.3.5? Who knows?

You mad foolhardy crittur, macos10!!!! Good luck with it.

I, in stark contrast, have just bought a cheap A4 picture frame. 'So what?' I hear you all cry. So this: I took the A4-size piece of glass out of the frame and laid it on the bed of my new scanner, to bring the level of the scanning area up to the level of the surround. I can now scan all the things I need to scan, and the images still come out pretty good.

However, as this is a bit of a makeshift solution, I would still be interested in any further developments in the great Mac scanning saga.

Sorry to see you have no more replies on your question. That nightmare is yet to come for me!!!

Last thought, have you tried going through Virtual pc using XP? Also switching the scsi number to 0?

Received my Scanner today, Wow!!! The GT-9000 is big. It will be difficult to throw it out of the window when the drivers does not work and does not connect!

Keep posting at different forums, you may still get some help, It would be a shame to chuck the scanner!!!

All this trouble for the 'Flush bed-and-surround'. Just thought.......... What's the image like? As good as the Flat HP 4670?

Big? Yes, I usually think of mine as 'the aircraft carrier'.

HP 4670? I think I mentioned before, I bought one and had to send it back.The software was horrendously unstable, and when I did manage to get a scan out of it, the image looked as if it had been sprinkled with salt or white sugar.

Virtual PC? Wossat? Sounds a bit technical for me.

SCSI ID? Yes, I tried all the numbers - no go.

Virtual PC is now made by Microsoft!!!!

It's been updated and runs on all machines. :)

Product Description:
Virtual PC for Mac lets you run Microsoft Windows applications, access Windows networks, use Windows-only Internet applications, and share files with Windows-based colleagues. Virtual PC for Mac employs standard Mac controls and commands. It gives you the flexibility to work across platforms--side by side--without changing your Mac OS, software or files. Say goodbye to compatibility issues. Virtual PC for Mac lets you have the best of both worlds.

Did you say Gt-9000 is a good scan?

Thanks for low-down on Virtual PC.

No, I don't think I specially mentioned scan quality on the GT-9000. With only 8-bit colours the image you get naturally needs a bit of tweaking up. Mind you, so do the images I'm getting with the new 48-bit Canon. But I've been using the old Epson for so long that I'm used to humouring it. And it does have the flush deck I need and a new equivalent might cost a fortune, which I can't spare just now...

I'm sure the 9000 is a 8 bit grayscale and 30 bit colour! Anyway, Hopefully will work when I get my scsi card installed. Good luck. :)

Back