etc/master.passwd No such file or directory

ryanschnipke

Registered
I left my apartment to my roommates for ten minutes and I come back to my computer with this message on it. (etc/master.passwd No such file or directory) I have very little idea on how to use unix. What do I need to do to get it to boot back into os x? Any help is greatly appreciated.

All I know, is that when I start up my mac, the screen that comes up says etc/master.passwd No such file or directory. I don't have a clue why it comes up to this screen. I had OS X configured for two users. I was not using the computer at the time it happened, and my roommates claim that they just restarted it and that was all.

I've got the same problem now :)

Your friends restarted and ethire held down apple-s or apple-f (what I did).
Then, they probrobly didn't know what they were doing when they encountered the zsh shell and started typing english like commands I'm guessing the command reboot.

I ran fsck -y on my computer after holding down apple-f and then typed reboot. Mistake.
I am now stuck in the zsh shell. If I restart it just loads me into the shell and gives me the errors
#/etc/rc: can't open input file: /etc/rc
#/etc/master.passwd: no such file or directory

If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Well I have the same problem.

This is caused by the /etc folder not being found on my machine.

typing ls in the command line shows me that the /etc folder is now called
/etc (Mac OS 9)

I cannot rename the folder becuase when I try it tells me it is a read only volume.

Weird. Only thing I can suggest is to boot from a CD and reinstall OS X unless somebody knows how to force it to rename the folder just/etc instead of /etc (mac OS 9)

I just went ahead and did a reinstall.
Although even the reinstall did not work at first! I had to delete some stuff in the folder /system/core services/ or else the os x installer would just skip installing some "corrupted" files because they were already on my HD.

Back