Eudora Pro is just not loading properly

drmacintosh

Registered
I am a registered Macintosh Eudora Pro v 6.2.4 user well before the announcement of the reduction in price for the email client because of the halting development of Eudora Pro for Macintosh/Windows in lieu of developing an open source version. Sometime after having updated my "Tiger" OS to 10.4.10, I no longer could get into Eudora Pro. When I would click on the Eudora Pro icon from either the doc or Applications folder, an attempt to open Eudora Pro would occur but the app would never open. On the doc there would be several bounces but no launch. I then backed up the Eudora settings folder (HD\users\my user directory\documents) and then searched on the HD and deleted everything and anything pertaining to Eudora. I then re downloaded Eudora v6.2.4 and attempted to reinstall but in doing so the app would appear as if it would launch but never did. I am stumped. Could this be because of the update to 10.4.10. I also am having similar issues with Microsoft Office 2004. Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Entourage will not open either. To make matters worse, the update to 11.3.5 will download but never install. Before I give up and move to Thunderbird entirely has can anyone confirm this true or else give me a solution to my dilemma. Using the Sponsored Mode version is not an option as I would like to continue to use as long as possible the Paid Mode version of Eudora Pro v6.2.4. Thanks.

01. Go to 'Titanium's Software' and download 'Maintenance' (freeware) [at a minimum].
02. Launch 'Maintenance'.
You can optionally 'Cancel' the 'Verifying startup volume' process.
03. If not already, place a check mark (at a minimum) in the "Maintenance: 'Verify and Repair Permissions', 'Execute Maintenance Scripts', and 'Optimize the system'", "Cleaning: 'Logs and CrashReporter', 'Applications Cache', 'Font Cache', and 'System and Kernel Cache'", and "Reset: 'LaunchServices database', and 'Mac Help'" check boxes.
Basically, check mark all but the last three check boxes.
04. Click on the 'Execute' button, and wait.
05. You should be prompted to 'restart' (reboot) the Mac. If not, quit 'Maintenance' and reboot the Mac.
06. Try launching 'Eudora', and please - post your results.

Not the Pro version, but I have had no trouble at all with the full "sponsored" Eudora (not the Lite version). Upgraded from 10.4.9 to 10.4.10 a while back.

If you are having problems with other applications, I would suspect the system upgrade. Did you use the upgrade offered by Software Upgrade? It may be worth redoing it with the Combo update that you can download from the Apple site.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx10410comboupdateppc.html for the PPC Mac.

Or here for the Intel Mac: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx10410comboupdatev11intel.html

15 October 2007 Private Message posted:

'
I have followed your suggestion. I downloaded and installed Maintenance per your instructions and ran it. I then downloaded once again Eudora Pro v6.2.4 and upon launching, nothing. The app launched and just did allow for installation. What now?
'

Without having the Mac before me, I cannot say.

My post was based on the premise that a system level cache, log, or other file or files was / were preventing the launching of 'Eudora'.

Such an action has resolved similar problems of 'Eudora' and other applications.

---

A final suggestion:
Rename the 'Eudora Folder' to 'Eudora Folder_', and then launch 'Eudora'.
If a new 'Eudora Folder' is created, and 'Eudora' remains running - then begin investigating the contents of the 'Eudora Folder_'.

---

Please post (reply) to Thread only.

FWIW - I run Eudora Pro on a MacBook with 10.4.10 - no problems.

It would seem that the problem is in the User Account preferences or in the "Eudora Folder," which should be in your Documents folder. If Barhar's suggestion doesn't work, try making a new user and see if it will launch there.

Back