Every Major piece of Apple software now ported to OS X.

theCaptain

Member that enjoys Meece
Well this completes it today with the release of DVD Studio Pro 1.5, ever major piece of Apple software has now been ported to OS X, except for a few minors like Quicktime VR Authoring Studio, but we might very well see that with the release of Quicktime 6. Its taken a little over a year to get it all out, but Apple's also added some major updates to the new software and released two brand new pieces of software: Apple Remote Desktop, and Cinema tools. Well done Apple!!!

Well, for me, they've done a great job at porting all of their major applications except one: AppleWorks.

I think AppleWorks is due for a major revision, because it isn't as seemless as all of the other OS X ports of Apple software. I think AppleWorks 7 will probably be the next major updates to one of Apple's pieces of software.

Oh, I should also say that Apple Remote Desktop (ARD) actually replaces Apple Network Administrator Toolkit (ANAT).

I was skeptical, but man, when it rains it pours. The apps have really been shipping lately. I'm very happy and functional, but here's a few holdouts they keep me launching Classic.

Acrobat Distiller (c'mon, you can carbonize the main app, but not the distiller?)
QuickBooks (I have MYOB for X, but I can't get the conversion to show my historical records as I expect. I'm sure it's me. God, I hate accounting.)
Extensis Portfolio (you freaking idiots! You just come out with a very nice update, but no native X. So help me God, if Portfolio ends up being the only app keeping me launching Classi, I'm going to scream).
DiskWarrior (In fact, you have to boot to OS 9, right? Something like that. Not as big a deal since it hopefully won't get used much).
Scanner software

And that's it! Very doable. I don't even mind Classic for these apps except that any problems I do have in X always seem to be Classic-related.

The only thing I boot Classic for is... oh yeah. Nothing. :D I have Photoshop installed, but I use it so rarely that I almost never boot Classic. I've been planning on doing the Gimp thing (I'd rather use freeware than pay for the X version of Photoshop) but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

simX, do you already know about 6.2.4 for AW? I'll assume yes, but thought I'd point it out while I am posting already...

Remember when Jobs said, at the MacWorld SF 2001 keynote, that there was going going to be a huge downpour of Mac OS X apps durring the summer of 2001.:D

Originally posted by nkuvu
simX, do you already know about 6.2.4 for AW? I'll assume yes, but thought I'd point it out while I am posting already...

Of course I do. :rolleyes: ;) :D I installed it the day it came out. I was hoping for support for long filenames, but :( :( :(.

Originally posted by phatsharpie
I think this is the ACDSee Carbon version...

http://www.acdsystems.com/English/Products/Other/ACDSeeMac/index.htm?LAN=English

-B

THANK YOU!!!

I was fooled by the specs
3.2MB

System Requirements:*
Macintosh OS 8.6 or later
QuickTime 4.0** or later
8MB free RAM
256-color display adaptor
6MB free hard drive space
Power Macintosh 266 Mhz or later
(this includes all iMacs)
CarbonLib 1.3.1
(free download from Apple Web site)
*ACDSee 1.6 for Mac is a stand-alone shareware product and also a free update for ACDSee 1.0 / 1.5 for Mac.
**For best results, the latest version of QuickTime is recommended.

Mac OS 8.6 or later usually means OS X is not supported

OK, now only Roger Wilco is left...

Originally posted by theCaptain
ever major piece of Apple software has now been ported to OS X,
Not exactly an Apple bit of software, but AOL for OS X still hasnt been ported in the UK yet.

And according to AOL UK, it never will be.

Back