exchange set up i mail.app

gblondal

Registered
My set up with entourage with the inhouse microsoft exchange server works, but I'd rather use mail.app (v2), but when I set up Mail with the same settings I use in entourage Mail.app can't find the exchange server. The server I wan't to use needs a Https:// in front of the adress to work in both the web browser and entourage. Mail.app will not accept that in the field Outlook Web access server. Can anyone help?
regards

Gunnar Blöndal

Mail doesn't support conventional connections to exchange servers, sadly. Instead the best option is to access your exchange account as an IMAP account. Your mail admin should be abel to give you the details for connecting via IMAP.

Also note even the connection using Entourage is a very cut down set of exchange server features, so using IMAP doesn't lose you any major functionality.

ora, What do you mean by "conventional connections to exchange servers"? Exchange itself is anything but conventional. My experience with Mail and Entourage 2004 is that Mail's Exchange settings work better than Entourage's Exchange settings if they work. However, they may not work at all. Your mileage may vary--a lot! If Mail's Exchange settings don't work, then you you should be able to use IMAP. Another thing, neither Mail nor Entourage 2004 will allow you to administer your Exchange account. If you have to change your password, you will need access to a Windows installation of Outlook, an old Mac running Outlook 2001 under MacOS 9, or your firm's Outlook Web Client.

Back