external hard drive - firewire connection not recognised

jimcole98

Registered
I've got a G4 Powerbook and have bought a 250GB 7200rpm Ext Firewire 400 - i've been using it via the firewire to save files however since upgrading to Panther it will only let me transfer files via USB which obviously takes a very long time.
When i connect via firewire it begins to spin etc yet it just doesn't recognise the external drive is connected on the desktop.

I've written to LAcie but had no reply. Does anyone know how i uninstall panther, just to check that's the problem? - i've been told that it's probably not that though. Or can anyone suggest an alternative solution?

Could it be your firewire port ? Do other Firewire devices work/get recognised?

Also- when you connect your drive via firewire, does is show up in the devices pane of system profiler (Apple menu->About this mac, hit the 'more info' button, then in the window that comes up, select 'firewire' from the 'Hardware' section)

If its all working it should look like the picture attached below.

Attachments

• Picture-3.jpg
    Picture-3.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 11
How about this: I've got an iMac at my workplace that won't load ANY firewire information in the System Profiler. No firewire devices show up. It's a 700mhz PowerPC G4 with 10.3.8 running. It's all updated and honkey-dorey. Any thoughts?

will

Same thing for my B&W G3. The LaCie Firewire disk is not recognized under Panther (I don't know for 10.2: I didn't try).

Back