[FAQ] iTunes not able to access external drive..?

stevewoodzell

Registered
Hello, I've seen threads about similar problems but none exactly like this, so I apologize in advance if this has indeed been gone over.

Anyway today, randomly, iTunes decided to stop recognizing my external drive. I have all my mp3s on it and have been dragging them from the drive to iTunes as I acquire them for months and months (NOT copying them to the library, although I tried turning that on just for kicks and got the same results). All of a sudden, iTunes cannot find any of these files. If I try to import via the file menu, when I click on the drive in the dialog box it selects it but the files displayed don't change- for example, if i open to the desktop, then click on the Passport drive, it just stays on the desktop contents. Permissions are read & write, I've changed nothing since Friday, when there was no issue. I have no trouble accessing the drive via the finder or any other application. I can copy files from the drive to my computer's HD and drop them into iTunes from there, no problem.. these are 99% ripped MP3s, not iTunes store purchases.

what gives?? is there new DRM bullshit I am unaware of, whereby you can no longer play files from locations besides your Mac HD?

thanks!

-annoyed but still breathing in nyc

Back