Faster web browser?

osxnoob

Registered
ok i have a g4 cube and i just loaded osx onto it (the first release..i think its osx 10.0?) and i noticed that the web browser included with it (internet explorer) is VERY slow and sluggish even with 1.5mbps dsl.

my question is if there was any web browser that is compatible wiht osx 10.0? and no i do not want to spend $$$ to upgrade my os.

You're pretty much out of luck. Maybe one of the Mozilla variants (older release) will run on 10.0...you can always check and see.

I can tell you the performance increase from 10.0.x to 10.1.x is nice...the increase from 10.1.x to 10.2.x is nicer...the increase from 10.2.x to 10.3.x is yet nicer again. See a pattern here?

MacSales.com/OWC has 10.2 for $18; 10.3 for $49. Give it a month or two after Tiger's release, and 10.3 should go down in price. That said, best bet is to upgrade (10.2 min).

I would also say the best bet is to upgrade to OS X 10.2 or even 10.3(.9). Then you can use either Safari (relatively fast) or what I recommend is Firefox. On 10.0 you're really out of luck. BTW: OS X "Tiger" 10.4 arrives April 29.

I like safari because it's really simple and seems fast to me.
I think interface-wise safari is the best browser right now.
By far.
Also Safari seems to be very forgiving to HTML and scripting errors, so I hardly encounter problems viewing sites.

Firefox maybe a faster loader or a technically special browser, or at least that's what I keep hearing.
But I get annoyed by the fact that the javascript alerts are these little "roll down" panes, and the way the preferences are organized, and lots of other interface mess.
So I only use it for testing.

For testing it is good, because it is much more strict than Safari, which will ensure correcter site development.
I always have the impression that Netscape, bless it's soul, is the most strict in interpreting code.

HIH :)

Upgrade to Panther, to get Safari 1.3

I was a full fledged camino/firefox user for the past 1.5 years, but Safari 1.3 is blazing fast. Internet explorer...ugh...do yourself a favor and upgrade to Panther and trash IE ;)

Safari 1.3 is outperforming many other browsers in benchmarks including Firefox 1.0.3 (most notably in the javascript and html rendering ones)

I think it is funny that some people have suggested an upgrade to panther. Tiger comes out in less than 2 weeks. Upgrade to that if you want to upgrade.

MBHockey said:
Safari 1.3 is outperforming many other browsers in benchmarks including Firefox 1.0.3 (most notably in the javascript and html rendering ones)

Re-he-eally? I wasn't aware of that.... any way to transfer FireFox info into Safari? (EX. Bookmarks, cookies, etc.)

cfleck said:
I think it is funny that some people have suggested an upgrade to panther. Tiger comes out in less than 2 weeks. Upgrade to that if you want to upgrade.

Requirements for Tiger are higher than for Panther. He's got a cube. Panther is cheaper.

MBHockey said:

But personally, I would not go back to Safari from Camino. The optimized builds run well and fast, and the handling of stored passwords, cookies and adblocking is a lot better IMO.

To threadstarter: like a lot of folks said here, upgrade to a newer OS X version. I read recently on a news page, that benchmarks with the latest Tiger Developer Build suggest that it is worth the upgrade even on an iMac G3 350 MHz. It got a speed increase of over 15 %. So I think it could be worth spending the bucks on Tiger for your Cube.

If you have enough RAM, that is

I have to say, if you're stuck with 10.0....just boot into OS 9. 10.0 is dog slow, not to mention buggy. Mozilla runs on OS 9.

You could try iCab. I think that'll run in 10.0. But it can't render most modern sites well, so it's kind of a moot point.

You can also try and get a 10.2 version for cheap now from resellers. That would DEFINITELY be an imrpovement over 10.0, which was a dog inandof itself. Plus, almost nothing runs on that anymore. Most have made 10.2 the minimal default for software installs since it was better than it's previous 2 incarnations.

Viro said:
If you want speed, nothing beats Lynx. Come on, some one had to say it :).

Yea, there's nothing wrong with running Lynx! :D

Attachments

• Lynx.jpg
    Lynx.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 28
Back