Favicon design problem!

Matsaki

Registered
Hi Guys,
I have a problem with creating my Favicons ::evil::

The outcome is not any good. I tried all possible tricks in Photoshop and Illustrator (ta make a vector image) BUT at the end of the day the outcome of the small (16 x 16) icon get blury and the colurs not very bright!

I can see that there is a lot of much better quality Favicons out there. (ie www.filemaker.com)

The Applications I used for converting the jpeg, gif or png to .ico is "IconBuilder Pro" and "Iconverter", and they work fine.

How do THEY do it?

In Photoshop, go to Image Size, put in 16x16 pixels, and select Nearest Neighbor from the menu at the bottom. This resizes an image with very little blurring. It may do what you want.

Or you might just have to go over the small icon with the pencil tool to get it to look right. This shouldn't be too much of a hassle since it's only 256 pixels you're working with.

I think the key is the color set. Make sure you're using 256 Colors... and not unlimited. Photoshop will allow for much more colors then the icon will, so it will naturally appear blurry of colored incorrectly upon final conversion of the icon.

Nope! I used down to 16 colors and I think the only way to get it working is brushing up each pixel by hand :(

Good rule: KISS (Keep it Simple Stan) Ok, the last "s" can be whatever you want...

Post a pic of what you're trying to accomplish. Maybe it's too complex to work at that size? It'd be easier for us to help having an idea of what you're starting with.

Back