FileVault Help!

ChokingVictim

Registered
This is going to be a little hard to explain, but I'll give it a shot. I am currently running 10.4.11 on an Intel Macbook.

On Friday I logged in to my computer after letting FileVault free up the space on shutdown. To my surprise all of my files were gone and all settings were set to default. I didn't realize that all my computer did was create a "username2" and that my stuff was in fact not gone. And then for some reason I thought it best to just turn FileVault off (I was panicking and not thinking clearly lol). It told me it would now decrypt my home folder and did so in about 2 seconds (because there was nothing in that home folder I assume). So it didn't decrypt my original home folder and now coming to my senses I realized that I could not see that folder anymore. I then restarted my computer with Disk Warrior and it found my old Filevault and I could see all my files were (and are) still there. But now I can't copy them over to my new home folder (because they're still encrypted) and that FileVault drive (the one the Disk Warrior finds) doesn't even show up in finder. I think what I have to do is somehow locate the .sparseimage and mount it someway but I am not sure.

I really have no idea what to do here and I have learned not to play with FileVault if I don't know what I am doing. I also realize that the way I explained my problem is hard to follow so if you ask I will try to explain better. Thanks in advance.

One of the reasons I came HERE was for a FileVault question like yours! I was lucky in that I had a separate OS 9 partition--older Mac Pismo--so I "shoved" my files there.

Anyways, HERE is my question and answer which worked.

Bottom Line: do not bother with FileVault. You can individually place "passwords" on files you do not want others to see. In fact, you can basically do that by setting your Admin password and a Firmware password.

--J.D.

Back