Finder Error 36

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that in the morning. (Just as soon as I've figured out how to do it!!)

Thanks again, much appreciated.

J.

I bought a new WD 'My Book' external HDD and no problems (as yet) encountered.

I then formatted the original HDD (also WD - Western Digital) and made sure it was formatted to Mac (Journaled) and hey presto - problem solved!!

Thanks for all the advice - this was a real worry / problem and I wouldn't have know where to start without your help.

Many thanks.

J.

I'm an unable to copy any files from my MacBook Pro Desktop to Files. I'm running 10.6.2 and I was able to copy a few weeks ago (not sure if I updated my OS before or after successfully copying files). However, now I can't get anything to copy to my iPhone and it's extremely frustrating. Any helpful suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

I had the same problem as you (error 36) with the finder and also crash of time machine during first saving.
After a lot of trial and multiple hours of web search, i finally found the solution by myself.
I give it to you, let me know if it's the same for you.

Simply change the parameter for computer energy saving to the max value.

It appear to me that running in this mode generate problem with external drive in use.

I have the same problem on a SMB NAS.

I recived an update in OSX now, the 10.6.4 , that actually says its solves that problem;

- address issues copying, renaming, or deleting files on SMB file servers

Im upgrading now, and I will tell you how that works.

Thomas

thomasjojo, those issues will not really be resolved.
The tasks you try to do, copying, deleting, renaming, all require the "x" (execute) privileges on that filesystem. Which you can't get on SMB from the *X platforms such as OS X. You can get read and write (RW) and improve those, but X is just utopia - unfortunately. With any method you currently have for accessing, using, reading, writing, doing anything from a Mac on those systems will all have RW but not RWX.

I had exactly the same problem when trying to copy a large number of photos to an SD card to be read by a photoframe The transfer would fail 1/2 way through. None of te files were in sub folders. After reading through this thread I tried reformatting on the PC laptop but this did not make any difference. I then reformatted on the mac again to FAT and I was able to copy the files but the photoframe couldn't read the card nor could the PC. I had to reformat the card in the PC
I tried transferring the files to a USB stick so that I could transfer via the PC. The PC appears to be able to read them but won't transfer them to the SD card either. I had to transfer the files to the PC first then to the SD card before I could get the frame to work

Back