Finder search disconnects mounted network volume

bartszyszka

Registered
Hello,

We just got a new PowerMac with an OS X Server (Tiger, 10.4.4) in my office and I just discovered a new problem we never had when using an old OS 9 computer as a file server. That new computer, like the old one, gets connected as an AFP volume in Finder. When it's mounted, if I attempt to do a Finder search on it through a computer that has Tiger, the volume gets disconnected within a few seconds (whether or not indexing is enabled for that volume). The error I get is:
Disconnected
The file server "XYZ Server" connection has unexpectedly closed down.

If I do a search from a computer that has Panther on it, and have it search "Everywhere," I get a similar-looking message except it mentions that the server is timing out.

Is there something I need to enable on the file server that would allow whatever type of connection Finder is making to do its search? Does it make a difference if we only have a 10-client license? When I look in the Server Admin, it tells me there's only one concurrent connection (I'm the only on in the office today...) though. And does it make a difference if Guest access is turned off? I thought that would be better for security reasons.

- Bart

Back