Finder starting twice

Zammy-Sam

Desertchild
I discovered something really weird. After some time the finder is running twice. One I can just restart and the other I can kinda abort/close. So, if someone would ask, why I am complaining about it: because of this, I get a copy from all my objects on the desk after I move the object. I can't click on that copy or do anything. It's like a part of the background pic...
Anyone there who could help me?

Ok, figured out some more:
when I close the additional Finder, everything appears normal again, beside the fact that there is no black triangle next to the Finder icon! ;)
Anyway, when I open a folder over launchbar, the Finder restarts and there we go again...

HELP!

Um...try quitting the one Finder then immediately doing the relaunch of the other, see if that fixes anything.

Dunno why it's happening, though. Perhaps you have something that's making the Finder think it crashed so it's trying to relaunch, but instead starts up another copy of it....that's a little too convoluted - Dunno! :D

I tried as well, but the Finder ist still starting twice...
Weird, huh?

Ok, I had lot of problems with macosx before. Currently it's my third restore (reinstalling without deleting old system). I know, this might be the reason for all this, but still... don't want to do a fresh install. Would be hell of work to backup the system...
but tnx Darkshadow!

I shooting in the dark here, but is it possible to have two copies of the Finder on the system? Since the Finder basically runs as a program on top of the operating system, could it be launching multiple copies? I'm not sure how to check for this, but maybe this is an idea the more techy guys around here can run with and see if I've got even half a clue.

Good luck Zammy, hope you figure it out.

Ok, this might sound darn stupid, but I just did:
I searched for Finder to see, if I have several copies. :)
well, I found out, that I have a folder called "Previous Systems". This must be from the restore-installation. Ok, tried deleting it, but it's not possible. Ok, I am not really sure, if this might be the core of the problem, but I am pretty much into trying it. Thought of deleting it over the terminal, but I guess I need to be root. And since the system is freshly installed, I didn't set up any su or root password.
Anyway, I believe there is a connection between launchbar and my Finder. Whenever I call a folder over launchbar, I get this second copy of the Finder.
I guess you are right ebolag4, but how to fix it?
tnx!

What about inventing a new forum? The TWILIGHT-ZONE! We would start with this thread! ;)
Sorry, am pretty desperate here...

Does the second Finder start-up when you boot the computer or log-in? Have you tried disabling LaunchBar and restarting to see if the problem continues?

I think you're on the right track, it sound associated with LauchBar. Sounds weird though, I use LB and I've never had a problem.

BTW: Is your system updated to the most current version? And also, do you have the most current version of LaunchBar?

Nice idea, ebolag4! This I didn't try yet. Well, the second Finder just seems to start when I call folders over launchbar. Launchbar is the latest version (3.2.10) and macosx (10.2.5) too. But I will try not using launchbar and see, if the problem still occurs. If so, I will just delete launchbar and download again.

tnx a lot!

Ok, restarting macosx:
everything works fine! Just one Finder.
Starting launchbar:
Opening a folder in the Finder:
Calling a folder over launchbar:
BOOM! Second Finder comes!
Guess it's clear, huh?

So, how to reinstall launchbar? Deleting the app won't be enough I think. Where are all those settings saved? Anyone any idea?

as far as the preferences of the application they'll probably be found in
/users/(your home folder)/library/preferences

Hmm, that Previous System is there so you can copy over any stuff from it, then you should be able to delete it fine.

Hey Zammy. Download and install the new 10.2.6 and see if that changes anything for you. You never know. . .

Darkshadow: I tried to delete the folder, but it's really not possible. And I don't have a restricted account. And it's not even due to any access to the folder. Guess I just have to do over the terminal and maybe log as su?!? Will try...

ebolag4: I was hoping too! But it's still the same. :(
Anway, I kinda "fixed" the problem a bit. First of all am way too lazy to delete launchbar and reinstall, since I did a lot of personal adjustments...
So, what I actually did: I made the icons on my Desktop get automatically ordered! :D. Finder is still running twice, but at least I don't see any double icons, since I can't move them anymore. And when a new icon drops in, it's affecting both Finders. So, no double icons anymore.
Will check the launchbar talk list...

tnx for your help!

IT'S FIXED!!!!
Deleted the Previous System folder and when I finally emptied the trash I got the message: can't proceed deleting file Finder because it's in use (remember, have german language-pack installed here!). Checked list of running apps and two Finders were running and when I closed the additional Finder the deleting was able to proceed. And? Everything works just fine now! Calling folder over launchbar doesn't start another Finder. But I think I should report this to the launchbar developers anyway...

I'd say it was because the launchbar was "remembering" the previous Finder, so when it tried to do anything with the Finder, it would think it wasn't running and launch it.

That's actually sort of normal - lots of applications remember files this way. They reference them by their fileID, so that even if the file is moved to a different location on the hard drive, it can still find it and use it. I hadn't heard of any apps referencing the Finder like this before, but it's feasible.

Great Zammy! I'm happy for you. And yes, please do report your problems to the developers. It may or may not be their problem. This might even be something to report to the developers at Apple as well.

Yeah, Darkshadow. This makes sense. Hope there are no other proggs like this, since I deleted the Previous System folder! ;)
And tnx ebolag4! I gonna let those guys from launchbar know about it. Am not sure if apple would feel guilty for this mess! ;)

Back