finder stuck in loop due to too many jpgs on desktop

homelessfrog

Registered
I'm on a ibook G4 running OS X 10.3.9. 1.07 GHz Processor with 768 mb DDR SDRAM:

I accidentally dropped about 20 mb of .jpg's on my desktop. My finder is caught in a loop of some sort and I cant throw away any of these files or move them because I can't access anything on my desktop. I found this topic in the forum:

http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268131&highlight=too+many+pictures+on+desktop

which shows how I can solve the problem if I can access the terminal command screen, but I don't know how to do that since my finder is jammed. is it possible to access terminal through startup somehow... is there any other solution to this problem... I don't have my system software cd either. any advice would help.

You could boot into single user mode: command + s at startup. This should put you at a command line so you can take care of your problems.

Oh yea, you probably need to mount the hard disk to be read/write: /sbin/mount -wu /

BE CAREFUL! :-D

You don't need to enter single user mode to get a console without the finder.

Just enter as your user name (without the quotes) ">console" and no password.

You'll be put at a plain old TTY login prompt. This time, log in with your username and password, move the files around wherever you want them, and just type "exit" to get back to the login screen.

I'd recommend doing it that way, as there's less risk of hosing your machine by accident - no need to muck around as root unnecessarily.

Back