fink and teTeX for newbies

3co

Registered
Hi
I just download "fink" in order to install the teTeX distribution on macosX 10.2 . Everythings seems to be ok, exept that i don't know how to use teTex.
In wich directory is it installed ? Where is the documentation ? What has exactly done fink ?
Thanks a lot.

well, you are going to have to learn latex to do anything good with it. i use texshop as my editor cuz it has some nice stuff built in. do a google for latex tutorials and you'll come back with all sorts of help.

fink installs everything in the /sw folder so it is all there. if you played followed the directions in the fink install you should have the appropriate PATH settings. if you have no idea what i'm talking about, say so and i or someone else can clear it up for you. hope this helps.

Tetex is a typesetting engine, not a graphical program itself. You write text and commands in an editor and then use (la)tex to typeset it. The documentation you are looking for is in effect a manual of how to write documents that can be typeset with (la)tex. An excellent beginners guide is "the not so short introduction to LaTeX2e" (.PDF).
As was suggested, TeXShop is an excellent LaTeX editor with a lot of useful features.

Feel free to ask more details! :)

In fact, my newbee was refering to macOsX and not to LateX (sorry !)
I am already using LateX, but with OzTeX and alphaX (beta). So I have LateX files ready to be compiled. My problem is how to use this particular engine (TeteX) and where find the "geting started" manual for the first try.
Is there some kind 'log file' where fink record every things he is doing ?

thanks

Ok, sorry it wasn't clear what you were asking.
Fink installs everything in the /sw directory. The tetex engine is in /sw/bin
If you use FinkCommander it becomes pretty obvious what you have installed, what is the latest (stable/unstable/binary) version of your packages etc.
Since I've always worked with tetex, I wouldn't know the specific differences to OzTex. I suppose you already tried man fink and man texconfig ...?
The basics are the same: latex, bibtex latex, latex :) For more information you might want to look here.

Back