Fink, Xdarwin, Now what?

You're so kind. By the way, my favorite UNIX/Linux interface quirk has been brought up by Livin Free in another thread:

$ man woman
No manual for woman.

I like this one tho it's kinda depressing:

% kill gates
kill: Arguments should be jobs or process id's.

Hey, when I type "man Woman" I get this:

manwoman_ui.jpg

No problem chenly! And remember, on those heavy bloated days turn the third blue knob from the left (veryyyyy slowly) to 7!

Okay, I'm missing something HUGE here.

I've used fink to download gimp, XFree86, and related files. I've picoed the .cshrc and all that good stuff. Everything seems to be it good shape and ready to go.

Now how do I start/launch it?

OMG, I'm so embarrassed. *sigh*

Okay, I'm missing something HUGE here.

I've used fink to download gimp, XFree86, and related files. I've picoed the .cshrc and all that good stuff. Everything seems to be it good shape and ready to go.

Now how do I start/launch it?

Do you have XDarwin? Download it (http://mrcla.com/XonX/oldUpdates.html), install it and start it up! (Anybody - why is the XDarwin download so hard to find at xdarwin.org?).

XDarwin will lanch you into XWindows (full screen or rootless - try either one), but will default to a pretty crappy looking windowmanger. To run different windowmanagers you will have to install those via fink (I like Windowmaker), then create a .xinitrc file in your home directory. The contents of the file are pretty simple:

PATH="$PATH:/sw/bin"

exec wmaker

That's all you need - the line "exec..." designates which windowmanager you want to run. In this example windowmaker. Other examples you could use:

exec oroborus
exec enlightenment
exec blackbox
exec icewm
exec fvwm
exec pwm

but remember, they have to be installed via fink before you can run them.

Hope this all makes sense! You are soooooo close.

Thx karavite,

I downloaded XDarwin w/o a hitch. Stuffit unpacked it all and it looks like I'm ready to go. I can double-click the icon and launch XDarwin...yes!

However, I've reached (passed, really) my frustration threshold for the day, so I think I'll just take a powder and figure out how to run gimp et. al., another day.

Thanks so much for your help!

Earector - glad to hear you are taking a break. Get outside, turn the computer off, enjoy life - a nice summer scene jpeg on your desktop is not enough! We need the real thing.

However, when you get back, you can launch gimp from just by typing "gimp" in a terminal once you have launced XWindows. Some windowmanagers come with application launch menus that usually include gimp, but the terminal thing will work for any application.

OroborOSX!
Sorry, I don't remember the web site. Do a Google search :D

Best... window manager... ever.

For Mac OS X, anyway.

-the valrus

sometimes i think it is "Open Sores"

i have some of this documented in another thread for the install of
of rdesktop (it allows terminal services client for windows to run in X)

I run X on my PowerBook. I use Full screen X most of the time,
only run Aqua to use Explorer (faster than amaya) and Office
for the Mac.

I have also been a sysadmin for years, so I know my way around
the nix systems. I have been a mac user longer, so i cant translate
pretty well....

My preference is WindowMaker (very lightweight, low mem and processor
requirements)

For a newbie, stick with Gnome. Menu Driven... it is like windows (take what you will from that comment)

but get away from it as soon as possible as it eats alot of RAM

I've got a couple new questions.

when I log in as >console how do I start up Xwindows? Is there anything special to do to start a windows manager with that? I would like to see if I can run some of these programs without Aqua background to see if they are faster. Does OroborOSX run as a window manager when I don't have aqua open?

Secondly, is it possible to quit a window manager for the purposes of testing another one? I run OroborOSX but I would like to try some of the others (blackbox, NeXT, IceWM) so how would I get those running?

You might also want to use a two or even three button mouse - the right button can do all kinds of useful things with most windowmanagers (right button works with OS X too - why doesn't Apple have a new mouse for new Macs running OSX?). I use a Logitech wireless two button mouse with a scroll wheel that also acts as a middle button. Works great with OS X and X and no drivers are required.

Ah, in a perfect world.

When I launch XDarwin and then open terminal and type 'gimp' I get this:

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
Gdk-WARNING **: can not set locale modifiers
Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

A search of osx.com finds others who have had this problem, but I didn't see a solution posted.

It's probably a common problem. I'll try to run the fix down when I have a few moments; if I find a solution I'll post it.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me out.

Originally posted by karavite

However, when you get back, you can launch gimp from just by typing "gimp" in a terminal once you have launced XWindows.

Hey earector - I thought you were taking the day off! If it is still Friday and you are reading this, walk away right now and have some fun! We will be here for you tomorrow! :)

When I launch XDarwin and then open terminal and type 'gimp' I get this:

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

I've seen a fix for the first message (C Library) and as I recall, that in itself should not prevent gimp or anything from running (I had that message in my first X install). I'll see if I can dig this up - it wasn't on macosx if I remember correctly. Here it is: http://fink.sourceforge.net/doc/x11/trouble.php#locale

7.5 "Warning: locale not supported by C library"

These messages are quite common, but harmless. It just means what it says - internationalization is not supported through the standard C library, the program will use the default English messages, date formats, and so on. There are several ways to deal with this:

Just ignore the messages.

Get rid of the messages by unsetting the environment variable LANG. Note that this will also turn internationalization off in programs that actually support it (via gettext/libintl). Example for .xinitrc:

unset LANG

Example for .cshrc:

unsetenv LANG

Use the libxpg4 Fink package. It builds a small library that contains working locale functions and arranges that it is loaded before the system libraries (using the DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES environment variable). You may have to set the LANG environment variable to a fully qualified value, e.g. de_DE.ISO_8859-1 instead of de or de_DE.

Ask Apple to include proper locale support in a future version of Mac OS X.

As for the others or the whole thing, I'm out of my league, but here are some stabs in the dark:

Can you launch other apps? - Lynx or emacs or something?
Did you use fink to install gimp? If yes, did you accept all its recommended dependent packages?
Have you tried using other window mangers?
Saw this in the fink list; "fix-fink - Utility to fix libSystem problems in a fink installation" - might be worth installing and running?

Did some google searches on your error messages + "OS X":

Class: Bad, but not fatal. These messages may appear in addition to the one above. This indicates that XFree86's locale data files are not present. It appears that this happens unreproducably when building XFree86 from source. Most applications will still work, GNU Emacs is a noteable exception

Doesn't help me much, but maybe some hotshot macosx person will come to our rescue?

Back