firewall problems...

octane

I have issues, OK!
I've just restarted my mac after a week or so, just to flush out the gremlins[!]

Upon restarting, I have to go through some settings in the System Preferences to set them all up again .. which is a pain because OS X 10.2.6 doesn't seem to want to remember them.

Problem is, for some unknown reason, when I went to the Sharing -> Firewall settings tab, I'm informed:

Other firewall software is running on your computer.

To change the Apple firewall settings, turn off the other firewall software.

First I knew!

What's all this about, then?

How come I now have another firewall running somewhere. Where is it? How do I stop it?

I want my old firewall back...

I frequently get the "Other firewall software" message. I used to have Brickhouse running a while back, but it's been disabled (along with its startup script) a long time ago.

My wife gets the message sometimes, too, and there has never been any other firewall software installed on her computer.

It seems to be a spurious error report. Sometimes just closing and opening System Preferences again can make it go away, but most often I have to restart to clear the error message.

'Hope that helps...

-- Steve

No, I've never had nor ever installed Brick House on my G4. SkyNite and I have the same problem. It used to be spurious - although I thought - until I discovered that it seemed to coincide with having Virtual PC open with the Red Hat 9 session.

But I haven't had Virtual PC open in over a couple of weeks...

I too had this problem. I think it had something to do with Carracho.

Do you have Carracho, Hotline or any other p2p software running?

I installed something called geeRoute which allows me to share an internet connection between my G4 and my iBook.

But the problem outlined above occurred long before I installed this.

OK, sorted this one out.

So, for future reference, break out your installer cd and do the following:

1) Run Disk First Aid and Repair
2) Repair you Disk Permissions
3) Repeat point one...

I didn't think to do this, and I find that a lot of problems are solved after you repair your Disk Permissions.

Also, Disk First Aid reported an: 'Invalid BSD File Type'

Whatever the hell that is, but it's fixed now...

Back