firewalls and ports

buc99

Don't Tread on Me!
Where can I find out more info on the different network ports that are used in networking? ie. web = 80

Thanks,:)
SA

Also, is port 1033 for airport? This is not listed under wither and is listed as unregistered at another official port listing.

SA

Thanks. That explains alot. Does anyone know if 1033 is the port for a wireless connection with the airport base station ?

SA

I *think* its used by NetInfo - but I'd have to look that up in the manuals again to be certain. But that's what springs to mind ...

C

yea, its one of the Netinfo ports.

The basestation and Airport dont use a special port to communicate.
They really act as a transparent bridge and have their own communication
protocol which they overlay TCP/IP on top of.

If your really interested check the 802.11b spec.

What is IEEE 802.11b?

The IEEE 802.11b specification allows for the wireless transmission of approximately 11 Mbps of raw data at distances from several dozen to several hundred feet over the 2.4 GHz unlicensed band. The distance depends on impediments, materials, and line of sight.

This specification started to appear in commercial form in mid-1999, with Apple Computer's introduction of its AirPort components, manufactured in conjunction with Lucent's WaveLAN division. (The division changed its named to Orinoco and was spun off to the newly formed Agere corporation with a variety of other Lucent assets in early 2001.)

802.11b is an extension of Ethernet to wireless communication, and as such is ecumenical about the kinds of data that pass over it. It's primarily used for TCP/IP, but can also handle other forms of networking traffic, such as AppleTalk or PC filesharing standards.

PCs and Macs may communicate intercompatibly over 802.11b, using equipment from a variety of vendors. The client hardware is typically a PC card or a PCI card, although USB and other forms of 802.11b radios are also being introduced. Adapters for PDAs, such as Palm OS and PocketPC based devices, are due out in mid-2001.

Back