Firewire devices make system freeze

bookem

danno
When I use two firewire devices on the same bus on my Cube, my system will go incredibly sluggish - it still sort of responds, but will not shut down or reboot after 30 minutes or so.

The devices I'm using are a Motu 828, QPS 40x8x48 CDRW, and a blue & silver Lacie 60Gb. I've tried every cabling combination, but 9 out of 10 times when the second device on the chain is switched on, the system will go this slow. Sometimes it will freeze completely.

I've just spent the day reinstalling 10.2.4 on a new partition, and it still happens. I've tried trashing PRAM & preferences as a last resort, but it still happens. I even bought 3 new cables.

This doesn't happen in OS9, which is a real pain, as all the apps I se are OSX now.

Any help appreciated.

well, it would be great if apple would address this issue, but really the responsibility lies with the hardware manuacturers for most things. they need to update their drivers and/or firmware. i had some similar problems back in 10.1.x with my acom drive. i spent considerable time working with their tech help installing a firmware update that he had to get from the original chip manufacturer. call up the manufacturer and complain. don't give up until you've talked to a supervisor or upper tier tech support.

I currently have that problem with a Flexx-HDD external firewaire case. I dont even have to have two devices hooked up. Just slamming the drive hard enough will cause the problem, and the only fix is to either turn off the drive or reboot. Most of the time it behaves fine unless I have prolonged heavy drive access (such as importing video).

I think that I might take the advice re: the manufatcturer and firmware updates thought. Thanks

It's my MOTU that causes problems for me. If it's even plugged in to a port and not switched on, switching on a firewire drive or burner will make my machine crash. Works fine with 3 hard drives and 2 burners on the same chain otherwise.

Back