First impressions of Jaguar

FrankH

Registered
Hi everyone,

I just installed the new Update 10.2 and I am using it half an hour now...

My first impressions:

Jaguar was supposed to bring more performance ... and it actually does! The Finder is faster and more user-friendly. At least it feels like it. You see nice effects when opening finder windows, the buttons (it seeems to be) are slightly different from what they used to look like in previous versions (but they look good indeed). The "beach ball" has changed, it now looks more aqua-like. The fonts in Internet Explorer are Anti-Aliasing now ... first I thought there is something wrong with my monitor. Well, I have to say I looks nice, but in forums like this you have difficulties in reading the articles.

Apart from that, Jaguar does some odd things:
A new (actually it is now that new) application called "Address Book" apperas in your dock. When you start it the first time, it tries to do a "conversion" ... but it never ends with this task. So I wasn't able to get my addresses in it. (But that's OK - I don't use it anyway.)
A really annoying thing is that my php-scripts don't work any more. Maybe Jaguar installed a new (and buggy) version over my existing PHP-version I got from the website of Marc Liyanage. Damn!
The developer tools: Projekt Builder doesn't start. I don't know why. Did Jaguar install the Beta April Developer Tools? Annoying!
BTW, there is a app called Apple System Profiler that can display crash logs... real nice and very useful!
An interesting thing appeared in the terminal. Normally it looks like:
[localhost:~] frank%
Now it looks like:
[Frank-Hasenm-llers-Computer:~] frank%

Anyone know how I can change this?

I hope that I am not the only one that has theses problemes with Jaguar so that others can tell me how to fix this.
Nevertheless, Jaguar is a remarkably step forward.

Greetings,

FrankH

1. Please search the board for 'jaguar' before opening a thread with such a generic title - or give it a decent title like 'problems with PHP on jaguar' or 'dev tools problems with jaguar'.

2. This strange icon called AddressBook is one of the key features of Jaguar, integrated with iCal, Mail, iChat and so on. I don't know why import hangs on your machine, though.

3. Jaguar needs the July dev tools that come on the third CD if you buy the package. They are not on the Macs that come preinstalled with 10.2 or the 10.2 upgrade CDs. You will be able to download the July dev tools (or even a newer build) from ADC (free membership).

4. Your PHP likely needs to be reinstalled.

Back