Flash designers ... what setup do you have?

corimay

PeanutButter
(I hope I'm posting this in the right forum...)

I'm looking to get my 1st Mac and I want to know what should I look for in a system. I'm a Flash designer, so I'll be doing mostly Flash and Photoshop on the machine.

I have the choice of getting a used G4 Dual 450mhz, 384 ram ($800), or get a new G4 Dual 867, 256ram

Will the Dual 450 work well with Flash running on OSX?

I use a (single) 450 at work and flash works well. Photoshop has a tendency to lag a bit. But i don't know if that's the machines fault or Adobes.

Twister

Het Twister,

I'm happy to recommend purchasing a Mac, as I think they are great machines, however, when it comes to Macromedia products, and Flash MX in particular, there have been several Mac users (including myself), that have encountered major performance problems.

Here is a link to a thread on the Macromedia boards:

http://webforums.macromedia.com/flash/messageview.cfm?catid=194&threadid=531773

It is pretty much unusable on my two Macs. One of which is a three month old iMac. If you do decide to go ahead, I would personally wait to purchase FlashMX this summer, when the latest release will probably be out, and hopefully have better performance.

Macs are really great. OSX is really great. There are some issues with FlashMX in OSX, but I hope they get resolved. If using Flash is more important than purchasing a Mac, and you can't put off purchasing until this Summer, I am sad to suggest sticking with PC. : <

Slo

Wow. I use Flash MX everyday. I have a few issues but by no means is it unusable. I even used the PC version the other day and had the same results. I don't understand how so many people can have so many issues when i have no REAL issues.

Twister

Add a second person with no real issues with Macromedia products under X, and that on the lowest equipped machine you can run X on (Beige 300mhz G3 desktop).

corimay,
If you can, go with the DP 867. Will be a noticable difference in Photoshop.

Back