floppy/questionmark/cd doesn't open

job

Registered
Hi

I got a g4 877 mhz showing a floppy with a question mark. Oh lucky me. How do i get the dvd/cd tray to open on startup. The keyboard button doesn't work.

TIA

Job

Check for the little hole that should be on the right side of the CD drive. You should be able to use a straightened paperclip and push it in the hole to open the drive.
Now you can put a bootable CD in (OS CD preferably) and then holding down the C key to boot by the CD after you power it up.

OR, you can try starting it and hold down the C key. It will say no CD in drive and open the tray (I think).

Is it a brand new G4? Did you buy it directly from Apple? If so you really should send it back with a complaint. Usually when people do that they get a year or two added onto their warrenty. :D

I called someone who gave me the golden tip. Press mouse on start up and the mac will eject all media. That little hole was hardly accessible, good there was a work around. I'm up and running again. There was majar damage in a bootsector. Disk first aid solved it nicely,

thanks all

coen

(logged in as job cause I also got robbed of my dual gig this weekend :(

Back