FM radio in next gen iPod, your opinion.

JohnO

Registered
Just curious. I have been looking at the iPod and am really impressed. However, the one featuere I would like to have is an FM radio included. This may sound odd, however, I would like to listen to news, talk radio, weather or other music that I don't have installed. For this very reason, I bought the Nomad II mp3 player about a year ago. I know it only takes smart media cards which limits the amount of mp3 music I can install. However, the fact that it has an FM radio was why I purchased it over the RIO or any of the other brands.

Just curious about other people's opinions.

Regards,

JohnO

...I suppose for some things a radio would be good, but it just for me doesn't seem like anything worthwhile. Pocket radios are so small and cheap that if you really wanted to listen to the radio you could just as easily carry it along. I think that the iPod's style would also be compensated by buzzing, staticy radio coming out of those beautiful earbuds... know what I mean? Apple doesn't do radio, they like CD-quality stuff. Also, how would the navigation be? Use the scroll wheel to "scrub" through the radio band? That would be very hard to pinpoint one station. Use the FF and REW buttons to move between stations that have a better signal? Maybe, but it still won't work all that well...

...I don't know; it just doesn't seem like the kind of thing an iPod would do. More the type of whiz-bang "it slices, chops onions, makes meatloaf, downloads news, has a built in DVD burner (which is completely new and has never been seen before!), and it weighs less than a quarter of a pound... look, it even has an FM radio!" crap that PC makers use to influence your purchase decisions :)

It's an OK idea for practicality's sake, just not the kind of thing Apple would likely do.

Originally posted by Bluefusion
...also be compensated by buzzing, staticy radio coming out of those beautiful earbuds... know what I mean?

I think you mean compromised, right?

Also, not sure if FM is a feature worth adding either... I haven't listened to the radio intentionally for years. XM radio, now that is a different story... an XM enabled iPod would be fresh.

Yeah. Compromised, compensated, whatever. Compromised it is.

Anyway though, XM really would be pretty awesome... I hadn't even thought of that. Apple could make a huge thing about that, too. Too bad they'd probably raise the price to astronomical levels in order to do it though... *sigh* oh, well.

Back