Focus on programs...?

dcoon81

Registered
When I click on an icon in the dock to open a program, it opens, however, the program is not in front of all of the other programs. Why? It seems that the window that is in front when I try to open another program remains the focus and the others are behind it. How can I change this setting so the the program that I want to open becomes the program in front (or the focus).

I am running Mac OS 10.3 Panther if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

You're not running some kind of stock ticker or some other program with a window set to be always on top?

Ideally, we'd need more information about what applications you have running, what system version, what computer et cetera.

I know it's hardly a panacea to all computer ills, but just try repairing the permissions and do a disk repair just to be safe...

It sure must be. Have you tried to repair permissions? It should not be doing that.

(Applications folder / Utilities. Open Disk Utility, and there choose your hard drive and hit on #repair permissions#)

Ah, permissions again. ;-) Seriously, the user's problem is not a permission problem at all but clearly an UI issue. Some 'always-on-top' thingie seems probable as Octane said.

I'd take everything out of the login-items and deinstall any haxies and stuff. Also: Create a second user and see if it also happens for that one. Then comes the hard part: Trying to figure out _why_ it happens for one but not the other... If it happens for all users, it's gotta be something system-wide. Maybe a startup item or something.

Back