For Evil(M$) to triumph, do nothing

cloweth

Registered
Help stop Microsoft hegemony

I posted the following on several forums last week as well as many Users Groups and the response has been well beyond my expectations.

People are really responding. Sentiments like "Congratulations on a well-presented campaign." and "I didn't think to send a message to the Attorney Generals of the remaining 9 states. Thanks for sending the email addresses for those folks. I just emailed 9 more letters thanks to you!" and "Thank you for the addresses. I have expressed my concerns to the Attorney General of the state in which I live and will urge others to do the same."

Please feel free to share this info among friends/colleagues if you wish.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Microsoft should receive harsher penalties
I am very disappointed with the Feds proposed settlement. Fortunately nine states' AG's agree with me. I have sent the following to the states' AG's dissatisfied with the terms of the USDOJ settlement agreement.

What I wrote
"It seems to me that Microsoft has indulged in not only anti-trust violations but racketeering as well. Is this a possible avenue of approaching their abuses?"

Public Sentiment
As you can see, my position well exceeds current prosecution parameters. Even if you don't agree with my extreme position, but desire more vigorous prosecution, I urge you to write to the Attorneys General to inform them of your support. You don’t have to reside in these states to write them. Write to all of them if you wish. The Attorneys General exist to provide services to their constituency and for the general public good. I believe that for the most part they take this responsibility very seriously. They want to get the bad guys. It is my opinion that Microsoft, Gates, Ballmer, et al, are the bad guys.

What you can do
Please include your name and address. This contributes to your authenticity. They may want to send you a snail mail confirmation. Please put it in your own words. And keep it brief. They understand the issues, so you don't need to re-hash them. It would probably be most effective if you stated that they press on with their lawsuit to impose maximum penalties.

The Multiplier Effect
A formulation was made years ago by various entities like newspapers, magazines, politicians, and such. They figured that for every person who bothered to write to them represented "X" amount of people who didn’t take the time and effort to write but shared similar opinions. "X" can equal anywhere from one thousand to ten thousand or more depending the specific circumstances of the recipient. So, as you can see, the simple act of writing can have a multiplier effect. That’s why your single contribution is so important.

Consolation
If you agree that Microsoft has gotten off too lightly again, I plead with you to take a few minutes, write to the Attorneys General and make your opinions known. When (or “if”) we’re all forced to use Microsoft Windows to get anything useful done at least you’ll be able to console yourself by knowing that you at least tried to resist Microsoft hegemony.

If not you, then who? If not now, then when?
This is the time to strike. They believe that they have hornswoggled a sweet deal. Their guard is down, if just a bit. This is far from over.

The Addresses
Below are the email addresses of the nine states Attorneys General dedicated to continuing with more stringent anti-trust prosecution. Included is USDOJ address to express your displeasure to the Feds. For international readers I have included a link to a USDOJ website listing other countries who are undertaking anti-trust action.

California: microsoftcomments@doj.ca.gov

Connecticut: attorney.general@po.state.ct.us

Florida: ag@oag.state.fl.us

Iowa: webteam@ag.state.ia.us

Kansas: GENERAL@ksag.org

Massachusetts: tom.reilly@ago.state.ma.us

Minnesota: attorney.general@state.mn.us

Utah: uag@att.state.ut.us

West Virginia: consumer@mail.wvnet.edu

US Dept of Justice-Microsoft anti-trust comments: Microsoft.atr@usdoj.gov

US Dept of Justice-other sites worldwide: http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/contact/otheratr.htm

Dilution Effect
This is a real opportunity for those of us who want more stringent prosecution. Before, Microsoft had only to have one team of lawyers to deal with the Feds. Now, their efforts will be diluted by virtue of having to confront nine different government entities. The time to express your opinion is now. Together we can have a positive impact on the future of computing if only we take the time to express our opinions to those who hold the public trust.

Tactics: ommision vs commision
There seems to be two primary tactics that people concerned about Microsoft hegemony are using.

The first consists of acts of ommision. That is boycotting. It seems to have had a minimal impact. I’ve boycotted M$ for years. There’s generously 25 million Mac users. What percentage do you suppose actively boycott M$? 10%? 20%? 30%? Let’s go all the way up to 50%. 12.5 million Mac users. Do you realize how insignificant a number that is when compared to M$’s market share? Macintosh users comprise 5% of the market! Five percent! Do you honestly think Bill Gates is staying up late tonight worrying about a potential 2.5% market share? No! Presuming it’s inevitable, he schemes during the day on ways to gobble it up. M$ has a 90% market share. I think it's obvious that more must be done. Boycotting works to a point, it's not the complete solution. Additional action must be taken to be effective.

The second tactic requires active participation. That is, by acts of commision. That’s what I’m asking you to do. Please take a few minutes, write, and send.

Best regards,
Christian Loweth

Here's what I sent to the DOJ when I learned of their email address. My letter wasn't so much about outrage at the bogusness of the proposed settlement as a suggestion that they use *all* the money to buy Apple hardware, and let Apple provide the software. I know, snowballs in hell come to mind; but I think it's a perfectly good idea.

--Andy

==========
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 10:56:24 -0500
To: microsoft.atr@usdoj.gov
Subject: alternate proposal

To the US Department of Justice:

When I read about Microsoft's settlement offer, I thought of the old restaurant joke: "The food here is bad -- and the portions are so small!" When it comes to software, you can't make up for qualitative flaws with volume.

I have seen Red Hat's proposal (http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/011120/202744_1.html), but for all the reasons it makes sense, it would make even more sense to have Microsoft spend that billion dollars on Apple hardware.

Wouldn't it be much more appropriate to have Microsoft buy computers that can't run their operating system? If Microsoft would buy the hardware, I'm sure Apple could be persuaded to donate software and support, though Apple computers already come bundled with the operating system and many easy-to-use applications at no extra cost. Microsoft could donate copies of Office, the Mac version of which is very well liked.

My proposal would be much better for students than either Microsoft's or Red Hat's. For example, Apple's iBook laptops, along with their Airport technology, are a very inexpensive way to get a whole school connected wirelessly to the Internet; there is no equivalent in the Wintel world. Also, Linux is terrific, but it's never been anywhere near the #1 platform in the education market, as Apple is. I doubt Red Hat would expand their offer to include porting hundreds of educational apps from the Mac platform to Linux -- or retraining hundreds of teachers and administrators who are already happy with Apple computers.

I believe what I am suggesting is (a) fair to all parties, (b) more appropriate than what Microsoft is offering, and (c) much more beneficial to the cause of educating American students. I hope you will agree.

Respectfully yours,
--Andrew G. Lee

Back