(Fresh Install) *OSX* ??

devz3ro

Registered
Hey all

i sorted out the problem with updating my OS, but now i have thought for awhile, just for fun i would like to re-image my machine (format)

just before i do this, i would like to query on afew things..
I have OS 9.2 & OS X on the same hard-drive, and i was wondering if you realy need the OS 9.2 installed?

& how this is this done?
procedures of basically doing a *fresh install

further comments on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
thanx all ;)

You can just install MAC OSX, without OS9. Either using the Panther install disk, or the CD restore you got with your computer. If you don't need OS9, save the space and don't install it. Hope this was help.

Reformating your drive means totally erasing the hard drive. Make sure you have the installers for all your applications and programs. I suggest you back up your home folder using Carbon Copy Cloner.

If you are sure you do not need OS 9 then just use the OS X CD to boot the computer, and when you get to the installer go to the Installer menu and select Disk Utility. Now use the erase and format tab. And make sure you go to First Aid tab before you install to make sure the drive is okay before installing a fresh OS X.

Only you can decide if you need OS 9 installed. If you use Classic while in OS X to open any older programs, or have the need to boot into OS 9 for an older program, then you would need it installed.

It would be a good idea, even if you don't feel that you want OS 9 on the machine, to install the OS 9 drivers when you reformat the drive. They don't take up any room, and if in the future you decide you want to install OS 9 for use as Classic, etc, then you'll be able to. If you don't install those drivers, you would have to reformat the drive againg to install OS 9.

hmm ok, i kinda get that. but oh well, things shud go well, i dont think i need OS 9, i practicly have all the new software, i got this computer 2nd hand you see, so it was muddle up and files were just randomly stored anywhere, so yeh this is my main reason for doing a fresh install,

thanx to all you guys replies, much apprieciated... maybe when i become elite, i can help you guys out with ya probs..heh, heres hoping ;)

*cheers

You'll become elite, don't worry or hurry ... ;)

It depends on you if you need OS 9. If you have all your programs you need for X, you probably won't need 9 .. so I don't need os 9 and don't have it installed, but I know many who use it requently.

haha well then, i have OSX 1.1.5 :D and it rips..runs much faster and at the moment i am trying to get a program called "virtual pc" so i can run my ol pc progs on here :p woohoo macs rock! ;)

see ya all

devz3ro said:
haha well then, i have OSX 1.1.5 :D and it rips..runs much faster and at the moment i am trying to get a program called "virtual pc" so i can run my ol pc progs on here :p woohoo macs rock! ;)

see ya all
Indeed, Macs are quite the cream-of-the-crop of computers. :)

Many of us are quite familiar with Virtual PC; I have a copy of VPC 3 on my iMac with Windows 95 that came with it (I got the iMac second-hand as well).

As for the first statement, do you mean that you have Mac OS X 10.1.5? That would make sense... I suggest, if you can spare the change, you upgrade to 10.3 Panther. It has a number of enhancements over even 10.2, including Exposé, and it is much faster on average than previous versions of OS X. Many people here have already upgraded to Panther, and I plan to in the near future as well.

mm yes 10.1.5 sorry, typo :S
well yeh when i can afford the upgrade i will do so..

with virtual pc im curious do you install a windows op on ur hd so it acts just like a PC or is it just the programs you can install?

Back