G-3 beige server freezes

nightman

Registered
My G-3 beige server loads ok but about 1 or 2 minutes it freezes,it can be in use or idle only thing to do is turn it off and back on again,with the same cycle to repeat again..it does completely load with OS-9,I have reset the pram,did not do any good system is 266mhz,256 memory,thats all I know about the system as I just bought it..PLEASE HELP!!!!O S 9 Z1-9.0

Have you run a disk utility on it? How much free space is on that hard drive?

Cheryl, he mentioned that he's using OS 9. To run a disk repair, it would have to be Disk First Aid. ;)

That said, Nightman, Have you checked the Energy Saver settings and set them to "Never?" I have a feeling this might be the cause of your problems.

Also, listen closely to the hard drive and try to hear for a repetitive sound. If you keep getting a weird repetitive sound from the hard drive, then it could be that it's about to fail. Backup all your files immediately and replace the drive before it deteriorates any further.

Have you also tried booting with Extensions Disabled to see if it still crashes? After you hear the Macintosh startup chime, hold down the Shift key until you see the message "Extensions Disabled." Leave it on and see if it does the same thing. If not, then it could be an extension or a control panel that's causing the freeze.

By the way, what exact version of OS 9 are you running? I remember there being issues with OS 9.0, but what they were I don't remember exactly. You might want to upgrade to 9.0.4, or take it even further and upgrade to 9.2.2. You'll first have to upgrade to 9.1, then to 9.2.1, and then to 9.2.2. Yes, it's a bit of a pain, but it would probably be worth it.

Good luck!

One more thing. Regarding the updaters to 9.1, 9.2.1, and 9.2.2, you'll have to download them from Apple. This way, you can keep them handy in the event you might have to reinstall again.

AFAIK, OS 9.2 was a pay-upgrade, so you can't just update 9.0 to 9.2.2. You'll have to live with 9.1 unless you're buying a 9.2 license for the computer.

I had the same thing happen on a 6400 several years ago - turned out to be a thermal problem - it would start and all would be fine until things warmed up...

turns out the fan was dead. Put in a new fan for about ten bucks, and worked fine ever after....

Back