G3 locked in limited user account - HELP!

Marikafaye

Registered
Hi - I am a novice to Macs, but an expert with Windows - So please help educate me!

I bought an iMac g3 333 mhz, tray load (I read that matters!) it is running os 9.2.

The very first time I turned it on, (I think) it was in an admin (regular?) account as I had access to everything. In my stumbling around to get it to recognize my network and get online it froze. Well, I was told to restart it by the pinhole reset button. I did that and it restarted fine. . . almost

Once it restarted, I noticed that there was a new entry in the menu across the top. Apple, File Edit, View, Window, Special, STUDENTS, help

In the Students selection you have "Sign Off", "Configure", and "Set Password" but Set password is greyed out.

If I try to do anything on it now, I get a message that clearly tells me I do not have permissions.

I do not have any System CD's and so far none of my coworkers or friends have themwither (they are all window users).

I am thinking that I must have somehow changed the users, location, or something, so that when it restarted it reverted to this 'locked user account'.

Does anyone know of a way I can get back into the 'full use' of the system? If not, I suppose I have a pretty big paper weight on my desk.

One more thing - From the little I have been able to look at on it, it seems to have been a Pinellas County School computer at one time for their school bes . . . .

Back