G4 iBook won't boot past blue screen

glen4cindy

Registered
I am trying to reformat an iBook for a friend.

Everything was running, but, there was no chime on boot. I logged into the machine, and was checking files and folders when it locked up. It actyally locked up while trying to run Microsoft Word.

It now boots to a grey screen the the little "spinning" thing, and then, instead of going to the login screen, it just turns blue.

It will NOT boot into Safe Mode, it will NOT boot to the iBook Install CD, I just get the same blue screen using both methods.

I used Command-Option-P-R without success.

I booted to Open Firmware and typed reset-nvram without success.

I don't know what else to try. I am copying her files right now by booting into Target Disk mode, but, once I get that done, I still won't be able to boot the install disc to get the system wiped and reinstalled.

What else can I do to correct this?

If you can copy files in the target disk mode can't you reformat the drive also? I believe the people who load dvd software on cdrom computers use that method. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Ralph

If you are positive that you are using the correct installer disk and the correct method to boot to the disk and you are getting the same blue screen no matter what, I'm leaning towards a bad logic board. I guess you can try romoving any added RAM to see if that makes a difference to rule out a bad RAM module. The ibooks are kind of known for bad logic baords.

If you are positive that you are using the correct installer disk and the correct method to boot to the disk and you are getting the same blue screen no matter what, I'm leaning towards a bad logic board. I guess you can try romoving any added RAM to see if that makes a difference to rule out a bad RAM module. The ibooks are kind of known for bad logic baords.

The only agrument I would have against the bad logic board is that the iBook was operating fine, but pretty slow, before I attempted to run Microsoft Word. When I tried to open a Word document, the computer locked, and now exhibits the blue screen problem. It's if it just cant quite get to the login screen, because it's the same blue background. I guess the logic board could have failed at the same time, but, wouldn't that be unusual?

I'm not a Mac genius, I fix mostly PC's, but, I have 3 Mac's and love them. I just don't know what else to try.

If you can copy files in the target disk mode can't you reformat the drive also? I believe the people who load dvd software on cdrom computers use that method. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Ralph

So, I have the iBook attached to my MacMini. I boot the iBook in Target Disk mode, I put the iBook install disc 1 in my MacMini and use the Target Disk as the destination of the load??

Never thought of that, but, if it works, that will be sweet!

Please reply if I have this right.

Thanks!

You can try it but the Mini should also be a G4 like the ibook because even if it does install that way you have problems.

I was told by a Mac friend that the same thing happended to him. The Apple Store told him that when a Mac locks up and you pull the power it frys the hard drive and the only way to repair it is to replace the hard drive.

So, he had them replace the hard drive in his laptop. He said the same thing was happening. He said something about a boot file on the hard drive.

But, this unit won't even boot from the install cd. It will boot from the hardware test CD, and it will boot into Open Firmware and Single User Mode.

Is that even possible for a powerdown to kill a hard drive?

Back