g4 online through a 56k modem of a power mac7500?

LaraCroft

Registered
Hi to everyone,

this question was posted last week in the " Networking & Compatibility" section, but it didn't get any answer, so I thought perhaps someone here could help?

I've got a power mac 7500 connected to internet via its 56k modem. Connected to it via ethernet there is a g4 (which hasn't got an internal modem) which i'm trying to have online through the mac 7500. I've set the sharing between the 2, but i cannot figure out how to share the connection..what i've thought is that: I need Appletalk on to be able to have them connected to each other, and i probably need PPoE on on the g4 to be able to connect to the www, but PPPoE and Appletalk cannot be on at the same time. What do i need to do to connect the g4 online? And could i have the 2 of them online at the same time?

Thank u in advance

Lara

Have you tried from the G4 go to the PowerMac and use the dial up, then the browser. You can set up the brower with dual users.

As for being on line at the same time, I am not sure you can do that with a dial up modem. You can with Cable or DSL using an ethernet router or hub.

PPPoE is a protocol for DSL so I don't think that would be any help. To share your connection you'll need to turn your 7500 into a proxy server. This means that the web browser on your G4 looks for its connection on your 7500. There should be some software around to do this - have a look on versiontracker or download.com. Hopefully there'll be a free way of doing it, or at least a cheap way!

If you can though, get DSL or Cable!

what operating system is the 7500 running?

It is super easy to share internet connections on 10.2.

dialup, set internet sharing to on in the sharing prefs, set the other mac to get ip by dhcp and away you go

Back