G4 to 0.13µ

isgoed

Registered
Here is an article that claims that motorola is finally putting some effort in improving the G4 line. It is making use of low-K technology which can boost performance by 20% and it goes from 0.18µ to 0.13µ.

Can we expect 2GHZ G4 's?

check it out:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/30993.html

What will apple's strategy be when there are 4 processors competing. Moto's G4 and G3, and IBM's PPC970 and G3 with altivec?

Isn't a G4 is basicaly a G3 with vector extensions?

I think that apple will drop the G3 from the linup and bump the G4 to the iBook whenever the 970 hits powerbooks.

most current G4 chips (1.25 and 1.42 Ghz) are not actualy rated at that speed, they're actually overclocked from motorollas perspective. I feel this will just help the G4 catch back up to where it should be.

BTW... what has happened to the MPC7460? it was supposed to fully take advantage of DDR RAM rather than the crippled, hobbled together mess that apple's using now, which happens to be the same in the MPC7457.

Also keep in mind that Apple isn't the only consumer of the G4 chips. Motorolla has a huge embedded market. Cisco uses quite a few G4's in their larger routers.

As far as Moto's business with apple... I feel this is just too little, too late.

As far as Moto's business with apple... I feel this is just too little, too late.

Not for the low end. Apple could differentiate Power* and i* series better through different processors. I wouldn't turn down a G4 at 2GHz in an iMac ... especially if the FSB goes to 200 MHz and more cache ...

Moreover if the bit about dual-core is true, it will make a big splash in an iMac, since a single dual-core processor is easier than dual processors to put on a small, cramped mobo like that.

Back