G4 Tower, 2 System folders, 9 and X

petertay

Registered
I don't remember why the G4 (tower) has both System 9.2.2 and OSX 10.3.9 on it, but it does. Sys 9 could be set as the start-up disk, but it is not and we do not use at all.

BUT, as I was reinstalling the driver for an Adaptec SCSI card (for a scanner), I was surprised to find that the SCSI driver has to go in the Extensions Folder of System 9.
I'm scanning from Photoshop CS in OSX, but it depends on Sys 9?. So what is the relationship between the 2 Systems?

I appears that if we trashed Sys 9, perhaps some things would not work.

The reason G4 towers might come with OS 9 and OS X is because at the time when these Macs were new, people were still using Mac OS 9 as their main OS so this allowed them to go back and forth between the two, especially for ornery Classic apps that wouldn't run properly under the Classic environment within Mac OS X (which incidentally needs and OS 9 installation to function).

As for the driver issue, are you sure you weren't installing the OS 9 version of the driver as opposed to a native OS X version?

The driver is the latest download offered. The installer said it was installing in OSX, but the readme fine print said "not compatible with OSX." Anyway, the scanner did not work until I took the SCSI driver and put it in the Sys 9 Extensions folder.

So my question is, If we boot up under OSX, how is it that Sys 9 files are part of the process? What else is there in Sys 9 that might be important?

The only thing I can think is that the driver might be launching the Classic environment, but that would be visible to you if it were happening. What model scanner and model SCSI adapter from Adaptec are you using?

Back