G4 Tower won't start up! Please help!

DGNMRWRW

Registered
When I left it last night, it was working just fine. Came back this morning and it would not come out of sleep mode. The mouse light had turned off (but would still flash momentarily when you clicked it), and it would not reset. I finally had to hold down the power button to get it to turn off, but now it won't turn back on. When I press the power button, the light comes on, then goes right back off. I'm totally lost and need this computer back ASAP! Does anyone have any ideas?

Have you tried to unplug the tower from the back.. leave it diconnected for a moment and then plug it back in.

I have had a similar problem back when I first got mine. I set the drives to sleep after a couple of hours, but they would not come back to life. I gave up on this and set the drives to never sleep.

Thanks, I gave it a try, but no luck. Anyone have any other ideas? I'd love to avoid sending this thing off to be repaired if I can.

Did you try using the reset button. That is the button at the front of the tower that looks like a sideways triangle.
First hit the power button, then if you get nothing, hit the rest button.

You could try hitting the power key then zapping the PRAM. Option, command(apple),p,r until it chimes three times. Then when it starts up you will need to reset all your settings such as date & time.

You could boot via CD, then run the Disk First aide or use Norton and run the disk doctor.

Thanks,

I got it fixed. In the end, I had to jiggle the battery on the motherboard and hit the small reset button beside it. All is well. Thanks for the suggestions.

Does the battery not fit properly? What I am concerned about is that you had to jiggle the battery. You should not need to do that.

Just hitting the reset button would have done the trick.

It seems to fit fine, and you're probably right about just pressing the reset button. I think I may have just tried the battery for good measure before I hit the reset button.

Back