G5/OSX drops network connection

julianb

Registered
Hi,

I've trawled the the threads and couldn't find anything specifically similar, so here goes!

I have 5 G5 machines running OSX 10.3.8. One machine in particular regularly drops the network connection (W2K server, 3 com switches etc).

The other machines are absolutely fine.

I'm relatively new to OSX, where should I begin my investigations...

regards

Julian

Hi Julian and welcome to the forum.
The first thing to do is to find where the problem lies.
Open the Terminal.app and start to ping to the lan computers. Are there any package losses? If so, where and when? Switch the faulty G5 with one G5 that works. This is a cable test. How many ports does your switch have? Is any computer plugged to the uplink port of the switch? And how are the ips handled? Fixed ips or is there an active dhcp server? Check the settings from your routing computer (W2K server?). Any filter rules or firewall settings for the lan?

julianb said:
Hi,

I've trawled the the threads and couldn't find anything specifically similar, so here goes!

I have 5 G5 machines running OSX 10.3.8. One machine in particular regularly drops the network connection (W2K server, 3 com switches etc).

The other machines are absolutely fine.

I'm relatively new to OSX, where should I begin my investigations...

regards

Julian

We had a similar issue. It was caused by energy saver preferences. We had to set the following parameters to "Never"

Sleep - Put the computer to sleep "Never"
Put the display to sleep "Never"
Uncheck Put hard disk to sleep

Thanks for the advice chaps,

Applied the various bits of advice and the problem seems to have dissipated.

regards

Julian

Back