gonna install 10.2 on my imac

am7

Registered
When i get my imac this week Im gonna install X 10.2 Jaguar. Is there anything I should do or check before I do so that will avoid messing up my comp or anything? Maybe latest updates or something or am I good to go?

if it's a brand new mac, you should be good to go. it should come with jag, shouldn't it? if not, it will come with osx for sure. sometimes there is software on them that isn't on disk, so you might want to consider running repair permissions from your jag boot disk 1. go up to the installer menu and select 'disk utility'. from there you can choose to verify the disk and the permissions. if all checks out, proceed. if you want to make sure all the software stays intact, select the first or second options. the second (middle one) will give you the cleaner install. you will also save considerable time and drive space by not installing any languages you don't need. when you are done with your disks, go thru set up assitant if you haven't already. be sure you have all your internet setting handy. then once you're online afterwards, go to system prefs and choose software update and update now. this will bring up a set of updates. once these have installed and you've restarted, repeat this procedure. continue doing this till you have all of them you want. for instance, if you don't have airport and you know you're not going to get it, not much point in downloading the update.

current system is 10.2.4. oh, and go to apple's site and download safari. you'll be glad you did. i think that's it. anything i forgot folks?

thanks I appreciate the reply. The mac I got comes with OSX but not Jaguar so I definitley wanna upgrade to 10.2 if only for ichat :)

TIP: When installing, customize your install. Then get rid of all the languages you don't need. That can save a lot of space. Same goes for printer drivers.

Back