Good public folder to save temp logs?

havic

Windsurfer Nerd
I have a program that will continue to run even after you have logged out, and runs under all the users accounts. It needs to be able to access it's log at all times, so having the log saved in an admins prefs directory isnt going to work when you log in as a normal user, because it wont have permission to access it.

What I'm looking for is an invisible directory (so it doesn't clutter up the users computer with yucky looking files) that I can save a text log into, and be able to expect read/write access to under all permission levels. Like /etc or /usr.

What is a good invisible, public folder that I can put a log into?

Another question, hopefully someone will know the answer to:
I need a folder to save the real log in, one that is easy for everyone to access and all users will have read and write permissions to. I considered using /Documents, which looked ot be a public documents folder (just what I wanted) but you can just delete it, so a lot of people wont have it.
Any other ideas? If not, anyone know the C function to create directorys so I can ensure that it IS there?

The C function is mkdir. :) Half the time if you can't figure out the name of a C call, but know the unix command to do it, it's probably the same name as the unix command :)

Brian

btoneill said:
The C function is mkdir. :) Half the time if you can't figure out the name of a C call, but know the unix command to do it, it's probably the same name as the unix command :)

Brian

Yes I knew about the Unix funct, and normally I would have just used man to find if there was a C equivelant. I figured there was no C function because man said there was no entry. I just realised I was searching section 3, not 2, which is why it said there was no entry :p

Sorry about that :p

Now that I have done all that, I have just remembered that there is a "Logs" folder in /Library.
Might as well use that then :p

Back