Good Techno +

Trip

Registered
Anybody here into Techno music? I'm not a HUGE fan, but I really like some softcore techno stuff (like royksopp and such). Anybody else like this kind of music?

What are some of your favorite artists/songs?

I like trance music. I don't listen to it much anymore since iTunes is on the hard drive that's offline.

I love electronic music. Here are a few suggestions:

DJ Encore's "Walking in the Sky"
Frankie Knuckles' "The Whistle Song"
Aurora - "It's My Turn"
New Order - "Confusion" (the club dance song from the bloodbath scene in Blade)
Astral Projection - "Dancing Galaxy"

I'm very much into electronic music myself.

Unclassifiable stuff like Aphex Twin is awesome.
Trance music (Paul Van Dyk, Tranceescape @Couleur 3 Switzerland), awesome but tiring.
Hardcore (Lady Dana, Laurent Ho), and hard techno (Technasia, Jeff Mills Axis Rec.), are part of what I prefer.
More conventional stuff (ie Carl Cox) sounds great too.
Finally, soft electronics (Royksopp, De-Phazz, ...) do some nice work, eps. in France (house classics, F Comm, St Germain...)

But overall, drum and bass is wicked ! Photek Special Forces, Total Science, my own favorites.

Concerts: been to Ministry of Sound, saw Peshay + Doc Scott + LTJ Bukem, been to see St Germain, a few raves.

If I had to recommend one album to people who want to discover techno: Carl Cox, "Global".

Techno is about the only music I listen to. My best CD I even got was Trance Impulse. Even despite it's present age it's still the best one I have. On some cases I like to listen to some stations on iTunes but you get some off and on songs in terms of quality there. The worse techno I hard were those ones that just keep a consistent beat ALL THE TIME. It really does nothing else but that; "DUM DUM DUM DUM" over and over and over... Gah! Then I have some songs I just turn off iTunes until it's over. Like he ones were the DJ or something is always screaming to someone like he is going to give them music like it was never down before and it's nothing but all talk. In short as Strongbad demonstrated this is sadly the most commen techno I find. http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail45.html

Age has nothing to do with the quality of music. Some of the best music came out of the 70's (Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, The Wall). I really hate the way radio stations organize their playlists. They combine what's New and Trendy with some older favorites from big artists, instead of playing everything they've ever played all the time.

Moby has some good electronic stuff, don't know if you consider it techno or not. MobySongs is a good album and Play is good (Play is one of my favorite ablums of all time). Animals rights is heavy rock, so don't bother listening to it.

DJ Shadow has some awesome stuff out there too.

Originally posted by arden
Age has nothing to do with the quality of music. Some of the best music came out of the 70's (Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, The Wall).

Even though this is brought to us forum readers without any argumentation,
Even though there isn't any explanation to that,

I back it up from first to last letter.

Really, I don't understand.
The 70s guys were spending their time wasted on drugs and, as far as economical questions are to be raised (spelling ?), recording and producing costed more than now. But the music was better than today ! In my own, striclty personal opinion.

Of course Arden thinks Pink Floyd is good 70s music. But that's because he's too young to know about Soft Machine and Agitation Free.

Arden, find some King Crimson (Robert Fripp), some Robert Wyatt, some Brian Eno and some David Sylvian, and throw a new look on progressive rock.

I would like to point out that the only member of Pink Floyd who did drugs was Syd Barrett, and he left in '69 to be replaced by Dave Gilmour...

I'll have to check them out sometime, hopefully if I can get my iMac online to use the Music Store.

Back