GUIs for UNIX tools....

Javintosh

Meember
I've noticed that there is quite a collection of third-party Cocoa-only GUIs for UNIX applications. I think this is a very positive development for MacOS. I'll like to hear what UNIX applications people are using via Cocoa GUIs.

Here's my list:

CronniX - cron GUI
vcdtools - just downloaded, don't know anything about VCDs
eFax - GUI for UNIX fax tools
ManOpen - man GUI with command line app for launching Cocoa GUI to specific search results.
Seti@home dockling for command-line seti client (converted to app via dockling wrapper)
Locator - GUI to the UNIX locator database

As the author of vcdtoolsX, I have to say I like this development too. Mac osX is like a bridge between UNIX-stability and the MacOS nice user interface. And that is also what theese GUI's are. Bridges.

I made vcdtoolsX couse I wanted to use the power in GNU vcdImager in an easy and friendly way. And then people starting pushing me to release it. And so I did. Of course as Open Source (hurray!).

There still are alot of nice unix apps out there that needs GUI's. MySQL is a bitch to start/stop and admin. And no GUI have yet made that one easy.

_

Hey, one question: I don't know enough about the GNU VCDtools to say if this is possible, but is it hard to add a MPEG2 demux option to the VCDtools? I really LOVE them and use them often to create VCDs and SVCDs, but at the moment, for example, I have a DVD-rip (no joke) from Lord of the Rings (a press DVD, the quality blows you away) on 4 SVCDs and I want to bring them on two DVDs, but there is no decent MPEG2 demux tool on the Mac, at least I know none. I can decode the video with MacMPEG2Decoder, but I don't know if it is possible to get the audio track out of the file with Quicktime (haven't tried yet, will do it later), just wanted to ask if this is a big problem. Demux capabilities would make the VCDtools REALLY perfect, then they would really work as a bridge between (S)VCDs and video authoring in FCP, DVDSP.

Just a thought ;)

I do not want to talk about ILLEGAL copys of movies here. But quality and tech-stuff for SVCDs/DVDs!

As far as I know there is no DVD-recorders for either mac or pc that can burn dual-layer. And then you will not be able to fit the whole LOTR SVCD on one DVDr, without lowering the bit-rate (quality). So I dont see the point in doing this. But there are tools for Demuxing mpeg2 streams. Check out bbDEMUX 1.2.1.

Also there are a DVD-r release of this movie out there also. Try leech that one instead.

And yes I do now about the Quality. I own the DVD Screener-disc that was used as source for the LOTR release. And It sux! Cause its bad interlaced everytime the "property of..." message is shown. Also the sound is not in real soround.

_

Originally posted by jesnil
I do not want to talk about ILLEGAL copys of movies here. But quality and tech-stuff for SVCDs/DVDs!

As far as I know there is no DVD-recorders for either mac or pc that can burn dual-layer. And then you will not be able to fit the whole LOTR SVCD on one DVDr, without lowering the bit-rate (quality). So I dont see the point in doing this. But there are tools for Demuxing mpeg2 streams. Check out bbDEMUX 1.2.1.
_

That's why I wrote "two DVDs" ;) Check my post!

I know that I would have to lower the bitrate too much to fit it on one single layered DVD.

Anyway, I'll try the bbDemux. Hopefully it helps.

BTW: I have visited the movie seven times now in the cinema and I can't wait to buy the DVD, so everybody who wants to blame me for watching a pirated copy...well, do it, I don't care ;)

Back