Guitar/music software

lemur

Registered
Hi.

I'm a little new to creating music on my mac. I have my guitar connected to my mac, and I would like know how to make the much of it. What software titles are worth checking out?

I'm basicly looking for guitar effects either if I'm playing directly to my speakers (through mac) or for recording.

Also when the sound is going "through" my mac, there is a tiny tiny delay before the sound hits my speakers (iBook 900mhz w/iMic). Is the mac too slow to play the sound directly? or can this be fixed with good software? (I only have some shareware titles right now).

Thanks!

(ps. this should have been posted on another page? hmm? why no music/sound category :)

If you get a decent sound card then you'll get rid of the delay, the iMic is fine for recording line in stuff but for instruments etc. there will be some latency.

OSX Core Audio supports plugins that you could use if you just want effects. There are a few free ones and a bit of software (RAK of RAX?) that lets you try them out, which would do for your purposes.

If you want to record then Digidesign are bringing out Pro Tools Free for OSX soon, it's still available for OS9. It'll only work with built in audio but you get 8 tracks of industry standard audio and 48 MIDI tracks with some fairly decent plugins and EQs. There's also Cubase and Logic. Both have cheaper and pro options.

I would suggest you look at Amplitude Live... it is basically a digital amp. It has many different effects you can apply, and the sound will come out almost perfectly without the amp hiss.

For basic recording, I recommend Felt Tip Sound Studio or Cacaphony. Both are excellent sound-in recorders and both have numerous effectsm you can apply to your sounds.

If you want to do more, I'd say take a look at Logic, Cubase, Protools, or Digital Performer. All are wonderful arrangers that many professionals use on a daily basis (Pro Tools is the standard for recording in studios). They're not cheap, but you can find cheaper versions of most of them, like Cubasis or the aforementioned PT Free.

Back