Hardening OS 9.2

deeks

Registered
Hallo there,

first please excuse my bad english, but hopefully you'll understand anyway.

I have to Hardening a G3 with installed OS 9.2. This because there is now way to get the User to Switch to OSX.

So my Questions are:

1. Is it possible to get the G3 into Sleep Mode after inactivity of X Minutes, and after awakening you have to type your Password to login?

2. What i know is that there is no build-in Firewall with 9.2? Is this true or know anybody a existing Application?

3. Where are the Logfiles stored with OS 9.2?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

At the risk of necroposting....

1. Is it possible to get the G3 into Sleep Mode after inactivity of X Minutes, and after awakening you have to type your Password to login?
Yes.

2. What i know is that there is no build-in Firewall with 9.2? Is this true or know anybody a existing Application?
Software firewalls are not terribly effective. However, MacOS 9 is virtually impossible to break into even if left relatively open. Unlike MacOS X, MacOS 9 has no command line. There is one reported break-in of a MacOS 9 computer. It was part of a second contest in Sweden. The hole was plugged.

Long story short. Don't worry about built-in firewalls. The will not improve the security of MacOS 9 which is already just about the best there is.

3. Where are the Logfiles stored with OS 9.2? ...
If there are any, then they will probably be in the System Folder. However, this is a question best answered by the documentation for the server.

Yes, sleep mode can be set in the Screen Saver/Energy Saver control panel.
MisterMe is correct about security.
As for log files - as I recall, no there are none.

Back