Has anyone tried Minefield (FireFox 3.1pre-beta)

Durbrow

Registered
I am using Minefield which is the "pre-beta" version of FireFox 3.1 and it seems more responsive than Safari 3.1 and Stainless and Cruz. I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on it compared to the new browsers coming out.

It is faster than Firefox and I've not had any major problems with it. There have a been a few minor text gliches which the nightlies seem to have fixed. I over-rode all the compatibility issues with the plugins I use and they all work.

But before you write off Safari read this: Safari 3.1.2 - Best of breed?

I usually have both running and use Minefield for some things, mostly development work and Safari for regular browsing.

The new Web Inspector in WebKit (Safari nightlies) is really, really good but I'm only just now learning how to use it. In many ways it's better than the Web Developer extension for Firefox/Minefield but it doesn't have as many tools.

Last edited:
Simbalala: Is there some app that will download nightlies for Minefield and another app that will download the latest webkit? Automatically? Thanks.

Simbalala: Is there some app that will download nightlies for Minefield and another app that will download the latest webkit? Automatically? Thanks.
Minefield updates automatically (it prompts you with a notice).

WebKit requires you to click the download link and then copy the app from the disk image to the destination. I usually just quit WebKit at least once a day and restart it, if there's a new nightly available (and there usually is) you'll be asked to download it.

I keep beta apps like these or any other pre-release s/w in my user/applications directory to keep them separate from the main Applications directory. That way I can have the stable version available in Applications and the "cutting edge" stuff in a different place.

Back