Have to clear G4 PMU every time to boot.

xar

Registered
Hi there.

I'm having a little problem with a PowerMac G4 digital audio upgraded to a Sonnet Encore 1.4 processor.

When you turn the machine off and then you try to turn it on again, it doesn't send any video signal to the monitor (the monitor LED keeps blinking like if there's no computer attached to it), there's no power power on the optical mouse and it does not boot.

As soon as you press the PMU button, all those symptoms disappear and the computer boots normally. If you do a restart from the OS (either 9.2 or 10.3) it does boot properly again.

But it if you turn it off, then the problem comes back again.

I had this Sonnet processor for about a year now and it never was a problem until about 2 weeks ago when this symptoms started to show.

I already tried to zap the PRAM (command+option+p+r whith three chimes) and also replaced the logic board battery. No luck. Still having the same problem.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. (believe me, it's not funny opening your mac and pressing that little PMU button every time you want to use your computer, neither economical having it powered on all the time.)

Thanks a lot !!!!!

swap that processor out and see if you still have the issue. This issue could be ENTIRELY related to it. Wacky things like this happen when you mess with processors. Also, if you swap back in your old chip, and noticed that it still does it, then something else is damaged... so you may need to get new hardware, unfortunately.

The other thing you might want to check is if your date and time is set back to some other time after you reset it and reboot that machine. It could be you have a bad PRAM battery. I don't remember if that one uses the 1/2 AA or the little block for a battery. You will have to to open it up and check.

Back