hd problem...please help

bakwoi

Registered
hi,

i had a powermac which died on me but the hd is still intact and I need to get the information off of it. The only other mac that I have access to is a powerbook and an eMac so i cannot really install the hd in it as a slave drive. To get around this I bought an ide to usb cable.

I go through all the steps needed but the newly made "external" hd is not appearing on the computer when i plug it in. Any thoughts?

Thanks

How are you getting power to the drive. I would doubt the USB bus can provide enough to spin up a large hard drive ?

Best way would be to pick up and exteernal firewire enclosure and install the drive in that.

The USB to IDE connector works great.. but not for large HD. You do need an external power source to spin up the drive, so you are 1/2 there.

The easiest solution would be to get a USB/Firewire case and stick the drive into that, then hook it up.

ohh..i forgot to mention the usb-ide came with a power source as well so it has full power.

the problem isnt picking it up

Then I would open the Disk Utility and see if the HD is visible. If it is, you can try to mount it from there.. verify it etc.

Back