HD upgrade - whats the best config

Pardus

Lurks: 15,289
I am looking for some advice on the best way to configure a new drive.

First my current setup, 30gig drive split into 2 partitions. One has my system on it. My second drive is a Maxtor 60GB 7200 drive with data on it.

I am getting a WD 120GB 7200 8mb buffer and want to replace the 30GB drive. Later i will get a sonnet card to have the third drive back.

The new WD drive should be the fastest. My main need for it is video editing. How should I configure my setup for the best overall performance? Is there any performance gains/loss by having OS and video on same drive vs. different drive same cable?

Partition the new drive and Install my OS on the new drive and use the other partition for editing or put the OS on physically seperate drive then the one I want to edit on?

There's not really much merit in partitioning these days, particularly if you're using the drive for big files such as video. Your best bet would probably be to keep your system on one and your video on another, that way system tasks won't interfere too much with your video loading/saving. Plus your big drive will be a bit zippier if it doesn't have to work around loads of other files to get to things.

Back