HELP! Can't get my Mac to Boot...

twiggs462

Registered
O.k. I had did a clean install of OS X on my Powerbook. After installing all my progs I went ahead and put on OS9 because I wanted to use a few programs that I had that only worked under OS 9.

When I went to resatrt my Powerbook to boot in OS 9 I keep getting a little icon that resembles a 3.5 disk wiht a blinking question mark on my screen. How Do I get it to boot back to OS X. I am very desperate.. Thanks for any help.

-Twiggs

hopefully somebody will correct me if there is a better way.:D

i would boot from disc by holding down the c key. then use startup disk to choose your os x system folder.

my understanding is that you need to install os 9 before os x and you must install os 9 drivers at time of formatting.

unless you checked clean install before doing OS 9 it would have installed all the classic files throughout the X system - V messy (thats a capital 'V' for very). Seeing as you have just installed, i would either abandon it and install 9 then X or start up off the 9 cd and try and pick out all the classic files that it has no doubt stuck in every nook and cranny of the X system folders.

BTW - you can run classic of a cd (read only volume) so if you create a disk image and install OS 9 on to that, run all the updates and the such, then burn the disk it will work just fine. Jag has a nifty feature that lets you use preferences from your X-home folder for use in Classic.

I dont know if any of that really made any sense, i just had a really long day at work, i am completely knackered, and i dont even know why i am replying to this....

If you installed both OSes on the same partition you should be able to boot into X by holding down the "X" key at startup. You'll know it worked because shortly after the startup chime the system will reboot and you'll hear the startup chime again (as if you were resetting the Parameter RAM [PRAM]).
If you installed on separate partitions, hold down the OPTION key and it will present you with a screen to select the volume you want to startup from.

Unless you chose to install OS 9 disk drivers during your X install (by clicking the "Options…" button during install, forget at what point) you'll have to re-initialize your Hard Drive to install OS 9.

Slightly related:

I was wondering if anyone knew where to find information on how to bless (make bootable) a CD-R holding system files, mach and Bootx -- so That I could do a basic boot from CD.

I do not have Classic on this system -- I did a clean installation of Jaguar; which of course, formatted the drive. Given the disks I have, installing 9 without blanking the disk is not an option. This is fine by me, since I have no need for Classic.

It would be really helpful to run from a CD, so that I could unmount the hard drive, and thus, perform various tasks that one can not do on a mounted drive.

-iGuy

Back